NewlyMinted

Coues or Mule Deer

They are just joking around. If your picture was in color it would be obvious. It’s not the antler configuration. It’s there face and butt. It’s not gonna work as well with a black and white picture. 

Mule deer tail looks like a piece of rope. Coues deer is a wide flap. A coues deers face is almost all gray with a small white ring around the nose. .mule deer have a large black patch on the forehead and white snout 

0171E4E6-C3B9-4864-ABCF-C26CD538D12B.png

• Like 3

Listen to the answers.  It is a mule deer.  Plenty of 3x3 mule deer that could be confused with Coues.  But the ears, tail, facial features clearly indicate mule deer.

• Like 1

What oz said.  Sometimes its hard to tell, until he sticks that tail up in the air and you'll know for sure.  That big ol white flag is a dead give away- unfortunately, when you see that flag, it's usually too late.  When he bounds away like a pogo stick- muley.  If he runs like a striped butt ape and vanishes into thin air- white-tail.

• Like 2

Don't mind trphyhntr,  he grows on you. Much like a goiter! He torqued me off a few times myself but at the end of the day he contributes and says some funny crap.  

Don't  be scared to ask rookie questions either, thats why we are all here. I've asked many over the years and it has made me a way better hunter and fisherman.    And i agree with you the one side of your buck does look whitetail, but the biggest factor in legality of a species between deer is gonna be the tail.  At least in AZ.  AZ does have hybrids, recently there was a huge whitetail killed by the Duwane Adams crew and it was a confirmed hybrid.  

Stick around and keep learning, lots of good dudes here that will help you when you need it.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Don't mind trphyhntr,  he grows on you. 

He needs to file a complaint with the Maker. Seems he got a brain and a penis but only enough blood to run one at a time. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow! 1

Trphyhunter is just mad that they closed down Pete's place in Star Valley. Woody Could You get Him a blow up doll for when He comes that way. BOB!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naturebob said:

Trphyhunter is just mad that they closed down Pete's place in Star Valley. Woody Could You get Him a blow up doll for when He comes that way. BOB!

What???  I got kicked out of there about 10 years ago....

9 hours ago, NewlyMinted said:

So no room for asking questions about something you're learning about? I'm just starting out and get my questions are basic, but to mix up me asking basic questions with me being safe in the field seems like a very exclusionary clique-like behavior.

Don't mind Trough hunter he is just that way.

• Like 1

Jim Heffelfinger sent me a copy of his "Tail of Two Deer" article that filled in all my other questions in figuring out Coues and Mule deer too!

Really appreciate the help!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewlyMinted said:

Jim Heffelfinger sent me a copy of his "Tail of Two Deer" article that filled in all my other questions in figuring out Coues and Mule deer too!

Really appreciate the help!

That is a good mule deer buck fwiw