It's alright.  The best thing to happen to Arizona dove hunting EVER should still be flying like crazy!   Eurasians!!!!  😉      At the dairy I hunt, we've been killing >50% Eurasian doves for the past several years now.   Fun stuff!!

Greatly looking forward to Sunday morning!

S.

Hopefully a few doves stick around the Valley. Was hoping to avoid the mega crowd in Yuma, but know the birds numbers are off the chart down there!

3 hours ago, stanley said:

It's alright.  The best thing to happen to Arizona dove hunting EVER should still be flying like crazy!   Eurasians!!!!  😉      At the dairy I hunt, we've been killing >50% Eurasian doves for the past several years now.   Fun stuff!!

Greatly looking forward to Sunday morning!

S.

The best thing?

17 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

The best thing?

Guess I should have prefaced that statement with "In my opinion...".   Plus, please don't take it literally.  Sort of a figure of speech. ;)     

That being said, among my dairy hunting buddies and I, we definitely appreciate the numbers of Eurasians!  In the old days, we would often be done hunting/shooting doves in under an hour.  With the numbers of Eurasians, our hunting enjoyment is greatly extended.  We have also gone out 'off season' (outside of mourning/white wing season) to hunt just Eurasians.  Lots of fun, IMO.

I prefer the solitude of a lonely desert tank. No one else but me. Not as much action or fast paced, but the quiet nature of the desert is peaceful to me. 

Good luck to everyone on Sunday!

0910160612_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/28/2019 at 10:57 PM, azcouesandelk said:

Every year this happens. 

I haven't shot Doves for years, but it seemed every year about three days before the season opened, a storm would come in and push the WW's south. In the early 70's we used to to Alma School Rd. and about Ocotillo, we called it the Russian Front, a lot of hunters and a lot of birds. I think 15 was the limit then.

I drove out today  "scouting"  (God, I can't believe I spent $20 in gas to do it 😝) North of Phx in the desert. Just wanted to find a spot 2 of my brothers and I could go out for a couple hours and shoot a few birds and BS with each other. We have another brother who isn't doing too well with Leukemia and we're realizing  we better enjoy why we can. Talk about hunting dove in the 70's , we would go to "the stockyards" at 40th st. South of Washington. Fun memories

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

I haven't shot Doves for years, but it seemed every year about three days before the season opened, a storm would come in and push the WW's south. In the early 70's we used to to Alma School Rd. and about Ocotillo, we called it the Russian Front, a lot of hunters and a lot of birds. I think 15 was the limit then.

I moved here in 76 and I think the limit was 20 Mourning Dove. A box of shells was like $2.79 at Yellow Front.

2 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I moved here in 76 and I think the limit was 20 Mourning Dove. A box of shells was like $2.79 at Yellow Front.

During Dove season the 7-11 on Ivanhoe and Arizona Ave used to sell them there.

16 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

In the early 1970s I managed sporting good departments -- first for the JC Penny's at Tower Plaza and later for the new Woolco at Cave Creek and T-Bird. In both places, we sold the dove and quail loads for $1.99. 

Thanks for mentioning Yellow Front and JC Penny’s.  It brought back memories of my small northern az town in the early 80’s.  We had JC Penny’s, Yellow Front, Montgomery Ward, Sears, Babbit’s, and AJ Bayless.  I still have old shotgun shells in boxes we haven’t used, MTM plastic ammo cases and reloading dies with the Yellow Front price tags on them.

2 hours ago, Saguaro said:

Thanks for mentioning Yellow Front and JC Penny’s.  It brought back memories of my small northern az town in the early 80’s.  We had JC Penny’s, Yellow Front, Montgomery Ward, Sears, Babbit’s, and AJ Bayless.  I still have old shotgun shells in boxes we haven’t used, MTM plastic ammo cases and reloading dies with the Yellow Front price tags on them.

Do you happen to have any of the Active all plastic shells? I really like those. Simpler times, like breakfast at Smittys for under $2!

• Like 1