naturebob

Desert tourtuse found. Pictures added

They're a little smarter than expected too. I put two on the porch and boarded up the stairs but they still escaped. They found two pickets in the wrought iron enclosure that were just wide enough apart to fit through sideways, even though they'd have to tuck and roll off the porch to gain freedom.

In their enclosure, they've learned to come out of their burrow for treats when they hear the gate rattle. My Heeler went into one of their underground tunnels and got stuck, we spent hours digging him out.

PS they think dog turds are tasty tootsie rolls.

• Like 1

Definitely a sulcata.  Having to transport it in a wheelbarrow is a good indication that its not a native desert tortoise.  At one point, there was one of those roaming the Superstition Wilderness.  Somebody's pet escaped and hikers/backpackers would report seeing it along one of the trails.  Attempts to remove it were futile because the biologists could never find it.

• Like 1

I cant believe that on a hunting website we have people not knowing what they are doing with wildlife.  Your first call should have been to the G&F.  😕

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, ThomC said:

I cant believe that on a hunting website we have people not knowing what they are doing with wildlife.  Your first call should have been to the G&F.  😕

They would probably refer you to one of the many adoption/rescue agencies since it's non-native.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomC said:

Why?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

They would probably refer you to one of the many adoption/rescue agencies since it's non-native.

That's exactly what would happen.  Its obviously someone's pet in the area and great for you, Bob, for trying to relocate the owner!  I've had to be a part of confiscations for illegally held native tortoises, escaped native tortoises, and native tortoises that were transported out of state (AK, MA, KS, OR, etc.) and its no fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Why?

The poster thought it was a Desert Tortoise.  There are other reasons to involve G&F but if you dont know them then that is my point.

5 hours ago, ThomC said:

I can't believe on a hunting website, someone would say call the Arizona Game and Fish for a person's escaped pet.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ThomC said:

The poster thought it was a Desert Tortoise.  There are other reasons to involve G&F but if you dont know them then that is my point.

Game and Fish might kill it like Macho B...

• Like 8

Never even thought of calling Game & fish.  That generally means a Hassle..............BOB!

• Like 2