Cosper88

Walking or glassing

Question 

New to javelina hunting here in AZ. I went a few times. Every time I would find fresh tracks and poop. I walk around and search but never find anything thing. I was told you can find signs and just walk about softly and you will run into them. 

Should I walk about or just post up and wait? How long do you stay in the spot, all day,?

You can do either. I’m almost always glassing morning and evening though, and if I decide to do some still hunting it’s usually between mid morning and mid afternoon. I’ll walk washes or thick bottoms a bit especially if it’s warm out

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cosper88 said:

So maybe try the glassing in the morning till about 10 and then once more around 4 till sun down? Never glasses before as odd as that sounds

Glassing is all about a pair of 15s and a tripod. The tripod is very important,  more so then the glass in my opinion.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, StickFlicker said:

Javelina are not fans of cold weather, so they can often be seen on the slope the sun is hitting in order to stay warm.

I don't doubt that but I have seen them hopping around in a foot of snow in Prescott and there are quite a few around Williams.

• Like 1

If they live in an area with snow, they obviously have to be somewhere in the snow.  However, like most animals, they will seek out the warmest area within the habitat in which they live, which is usually the areas the sun it hitting.

• Like 3

glass glass glass....and there are things you will find walking that you can't glassing, like heavy use bedding areas in very heavy cover and very open dirt beds near heavy cover that get full sun in middle of the day but are tucked into draws and ravines and washes. also don't overlook areas close to towns. they love dog food

Like everyone else above has said,... glassing is key.  When to glass isn't really a question... but where to glass is.  On colder days youll find them out sunning, mid day or when its warm, they can tuck up under a tree.  

I like to give my brother a hard time, on a family outing ... we came across some javelina.  At first glance, they looked like rocks... but taking a moment, they moved a little... We took the kids to the wildlife world zoo when that happened.   Out in the hill side a funny looking rock might be a sleeping pig, perfectly still.

that website someone mentioned above is awesome. 

I know this is an older post (just got my leftover 37 a tag, so getting excited and thought id cruise this forum) ... theres a current thread in the campfire about tracking old sign.

Fresh poop, or old poop is hard to determine... or even worse fresh poop.... Ive hit the same spot two days in a row, only to have them poop in my boot tracks from the day before. 

• Like 1

Last one I killed was on the first day of the hunt.  After spending all morning glassing and not seeing anything, I walked right into a herd while changing glassing positions.  The moral of that story is to always glass all around you even when you’re in the move.

The one before that took 8 days (spread through the season, not consecutive days) just to find the first herd.... they can be tough to locate sometimes.  They have a pretty big range, but seem dedicated to the spots they like.  It may take them several days or even a week or more to get back to a spot you’ve found sign in.  I keep track of all the spots where I’ve seen them or lots of sign and make a route.  Keep hiking and glassing that route for a few days, don’t give up after just one day.  It sometimes takes a little while for them to get back into town, so to speak.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mbiewer said:

Like everyone else above has said,... glassing is key.  When to glass isn't really a question... but where to glass is.  On colder days youll find them out sunning, mid day or when its warm, they can tuck up under a tree.  

I like to give my brother a hard time, on a family outing ... we came across some javelina.  At first glance, they looked like rocks... but taking a moment, they moved a little... We took the kids to the wildlife world zoo when that happened.   Out in the hill side a funny looking rock might be a sleeping pig, perfectly still.

that website someone mentioned above is awesome. 

I know this is an older post (just got my leftover 37 a tag, so getting excited and thought id cruise this forum) ... theres a current thread in the campfire about tracking old sign.

Fresh poop, or old poop is hard to determine... or even worse fresh poop.... Ive hit the same spot two days in a row, only to have them poop in my boot tracks from the day before. 

Yea these little rodents are making me put in some serious work for sure lol. I recognize you from the FB Arizona Javelina Hunting group btw. Im the dude wondering if I messed up on mailing my left over tag app haha

• Like 1