jdown

Christensen Ridgeline reviews?

Hi all.  I'm considering purchasing.  Does anyone have any personal experience and thoughts they would share? Likes, Dislikes, issues/concerns, accuracy, etc. 

Thanks! 

I just found a post from Sept asking the same. Sorry, should have searched first. If anything new, I'll still take, but otherwise will review that. Thanks! 

I love mine. Decided on the 6.5 PRC for a little extra energy and velocity over the Creedmoor out to around 500 yards while still keeping the recoil down. I have a couple hundred rounds down mine now and I'm very happy. I will say that I broke in and zeroed it in late spring when the temps down here in Tucson were hanging in the mid 80s and was getting around .5 MOA when I was shooting well. When summer temps shot up over 105 the factory 143 grain ELDX ammo started getting really erratic to the point where I avoided shooting for the entire month of September in an effort to remove some variables with what was going on (the 147 match were still very accurate though). In that time I started hand loading and when I went back in October in cooler temps the hand loads were stacking 5 shots groups touching each other so I'm hopeful that as I increase the charge up to about 2900 fps that accuracy will hold. 

Overall the rifle is pleasant to shoot. It's lightweight and comfortable to handle and in a few months when the ATF kindly grants me permission to possess my own property I'll be adding a suppressor which will really make it fun (the muzzle brake is pretty loud). The only issue I have had was a bad extractor spring which Christensen promptly sent me replacement parts at no charge. The bolt is not quite as smooth as I would have liked for a rifle in that price range but it has never caused me any issues cycling the action. All in all if I had the option of going back in time and making the decision all over again I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. Hope this helps.

It very much does and thank you. I remember selling CA's 20 years ago and they had extractor problems back then as well. I wonder why this continues to be an issue but sounds like it gets rectified easily enough though.  

Thank you again!  Great info. 

Have about500rounds thu my ridge line in 300wm. It’s only shot reloads and has always shot sub-moa. I did upgrade to the side break. My 11y daughter shoots it and loves it. 

I am contemplating the same in 6.5 PRC. Ridgeline or X-bolt LR ($800 less) or X-bolt Pro. The X-bolts get good reviews.

that is the exact choice I am looking at.. the hells canyon, pro or the CA Ridgline.  I don't think you can go wrong, but just trying to see if the extra 1K for 1lb is worth it! 

Have had the Ridgeline in 6.5 CM for about two years.  Followed the barrel break in to a "T" and the gun is a shooter.  I found it like Bergers 140 VLD's.  I was shooting .28" with HSM trophy gold with the 140 VLD Hunters.  The gun is just over 3/4" with the Hornady Precision Hunters 143 ELDX.  For the price and weight, it can't be beat.  Sometimes I forget the gun is in my pack.  I would go with the side vent brake as previously mentioned.  I have been playing around with some loads with good results. 

IMG_0241.jpeg

My wifes uncle has an ELR (I think). It is stupid accurate and I enjoyed shooting it (6.5PRC). But I think the bolt feels like crap, it was getting hung up and not smooth at all. I would be disappointed myself with that. But they do shoot........

They shoot well- I've owned one, shot others and handled a bunch more. Lots of gun for the money but still a mass produced factory rifle and not a custom. They aren't immune to issues.

I've not been thrilled with the fit and finish on the Ridgelines- bedding compound in weird spots, sticky actions, lugs that weren't cerakoted the same color as the other metal, and a few that had SIGNIFICANT cock on close, etc etc-- still shot well through. The stock stinks-- comb is low, too much forearm flex and they still weigh 32-34 ounces compared to most carbon customs that are 1/2lb less-

On the flip side-- every MPR I've looked at, which I feel is every one that has come through Ray's, Scheels and Cabelas has been smooth as butter, the flat shoe trigger is great and that chassis doesn't come with all the 'baggage' that the Ridgeline does.

Still lots of variables for your choices! What cartridge?? This choice which drives mag length issues and your intended use. I think the Hells Canyon LR is a heckuva rifle and it leaves a lot in the budget for glass. I also think that for $1800 (Ridgeline Price) I would get Tikka donor action, AG Stock (Altitude from Mesa) and a Proof Pre-fit and let it RIDE!!

I would buy the xbolt and never look back. I did a lot of reading on some forums awhile back trying to help a friend pick a new rifle. I saw more bad reviews on the CA than many other guns priced much less. He ended up with a CA and it had to go back for multiple issues.  I have setup 6 xbolts now, and every one has worked and shot very well. I would spend the extra money on optics and ammo. Good luck!