Sign in to follow this  
JLW

azgfd payson meeting dec 4th as told by "payson round up"

Why are game & fish wardens biologists?  Seems silly to me since they no longer use biology to manage AZs wildlife, but instead use surveys and comments submitted by people to decide management.  Seems it would be better suited to hire political science majors to help interpret the surveys so they can decide how many tags to give.

Would like to hear why Colorado wishes they didnt go to mandatory reporting.

We all have portals, setup a mandatory reporting link to each tag in every hunters portal account. No need for a phone system.

• Like 1

From that report it doesn't sound like they are too user friendly up on the top side of the chain of command.........

Who is the world works under DOS anymore and I'm not even tech literate................

“We’re still in DOS system,” he said.  

57 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

“I feel like the public input you’re receiving is not from the hunters,” Ulmer said.

“It’s from Phoenix,” Daniel said.

lol wut? 

When people they that, I think they me mean game and fish hq in Phoenix 

• Like 1

Hunting around homes and buildings is kind of like road hunting to me.  I don't look forward to hunting all year long so I can drive around, set the beer down, hop out of the truck and shoot something with my bow & arrow.  Hunting around homes and where people live would be too anti-climatic.  I want to be in the outdoors and hopefully not see any sign of civilization instead of dodging dog walkers.   Do people really want to kill something so bad they would shoot it with some of grannies annuals hanging out the side of it's mouth?  To each their own I guess but that is not my idea of hunting. 

I was also told the straw that broke the camels back and why they put the 1/4 mile rule in was because of the archers killing deer and antelope around Prescott Valley homes & businesses.  Something about an antelope killed right next to a children's playground if memory serves me.

All these G&F meetings are really for show IMO.  Game and Fish has a budget and expenses.  They know they need to sell so many tags, application fees, point guards and licenses to pay those bills.  The only changes or recommendations they would ever consider are things that add $ to their bottom line or things that don't take from their bottom line.  The world is run by bean counters. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, knothead said:

Hunting around homes and buildings is kind of like road hunting to me.  I don't look forward to hunting all year long so I can drive around, set the beer down, hop out of the truck and shoot something with my bow & arrow.  Hunting around homes and where people live would be too anti-climatic.  I want to be in the outdoors and hopefully not see any sign of civilization instead of dodging dog walkers.   Do people really want to kill something so bad they would shoot it with some of grannies annuals hanging out the side of it's mouth?  To each their own I guess but that is not my idea of hunting. 

I was also told the straw that broke the camels back and why they put the 1/4 mile rule in was because of the archers killing deer and antelope around Prescott Valley homes & businesses.  Something about an antelope killed right next to a children's playground if memory serves me.

All these G&F meetings are really for show IMO.  Game and Fish has a budget and expenses.  They know they need to sell so many tags, application fees, point guards and licenses to pay those bills.  The only changes or recommendations they would ever consider are things that add $ to their bottom line or things that don't take from their bottom line.  The world is run by bean counters. 

Doesn’t say homes. It’s occupied structures. A good example is a substation in the middle of nowhere. In mountainous terrain where it would take an archer 25 minutes to walk too with ridges in between. Or even a cell tower they can jam you when you couldn’t hit the structure from 200 yds due a mountain on the way. 

10 hours ago, knothead said:

so because its not your idea of hunting, everyone else shouldnt get to do it? it could still be legal, you dont have to do it.  road hunting and hunting near houses are not the same thing, and neither are as easy as you make it sound. i hunt where the animals are, that is hunting to me. 

• Like 2

Sounds to me like three or four of the most vocal guys in the room are also the ones who make their living guiding elk in the area.  The list of names in the article doesn't sound like a roll call of average hunters. 

If 22 is managed for trophy bulls, then it means guys won't get drawn very often.  The "hunters" in that meeting don't give a dang about that because what they want is to be able to get their high-dollar clients on trophy bulls in the areas they know best (i.e. close to home).   We already have units that are managed for trophy bulls, and guys are free to apply 20+ years to draw those tags if they so choose.   There is nothing wrong with managing some of the units for opportunity for the sportsmen who are willing to shoot smaller bulls, but still get drawn every 3-4 years.   Personally, I think these guides are being pretty selfish. 

Not only that, you have to think that the high number of late season bull tags also give a shot in the arm to the Payson economy each Nov/Dec.  In what would otherwise be a slow season, the community gets an influx of several thousand visitors who would have no reason to go up there and spend money without the hunts.  Anyways...my two cents.

• Like 1