GoldToyBox

71 yrs old with 19 bonus points, what unit for a Bull

2 hours ago, goinhuntn said:

With 19 points you could probably draw just about any late rifle or late archery tag. You have pretty good chance at early archery tags. Gohunt has pretty accurate draw odds statistics, but you need to join to have access to there info. It’s worth it to join in my opinion as they have good info on all the western states, and other valuable info & articles.

19 points on a late hunt...

Are you serious?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow! 1

8 hours ago, Delw said:

you guys put too much into the point game.  4-5 years ago I put in for elk again we got 3 years in a row early archery bull I got 1st tag gave to kid, next year daughter got tag then the following year I got tag and gave it to kid. before that would get a rifle bull elk tag about every 2-3 years always the same units. from the 80s to mid 90's I got 3 bull elk tags but put in when I had someone to put in with. only went on 2 hunts elk dotn do anything for me lol

rifle Antelope the same way back in 97 98 and 2001 same unit think those were the years gave the daughter the last one.

My system is easy I put in what I want to hunt and where I want to hunt. if I dont get drawn no biggy if I do fantastic I got yote hunting and archery deer much better and funner.

only tag I really wanted from day one is a ram tag. been putting in since the 80s, the others are just fillers ;)

now that I dont have any kids to give tags too anymore I probably wont draw another tag.

And that answers his question how for 2020 not 1985?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, jdown said:

Some struggle to keep up with change.....me on the other hand can’t wait to go hunt Kaibab on my otc tag!!!

• Like 2

Early cow is what you want.  Good eating to extend your life with.  What the heck can you do with antlers.  Not much.  Do a little shed hunting if you want antlers and a little fresh air and a walk in the woods.  

I think the 22s Hunt has been exposed and the draw for that hunt will change significantly. Sitting in 19 pts this could be the ticket for you.

19 pts is a hard draw for rifle still. I would go for a mid tier unit and scout as much as possible if you don’t go for the muzzle hunt

10 hours ago, ThomC said:

Early cow is what you want.  Good eating to extend your life with.  What the heck can you do with antlers.  Not much.  Do a little shed hunting if you want antlers and a little fresh air and a walk in the woods.  

Don't really want to cash in all my bonus points for a cow tag.  We get a cow nearly every year in Colorado, so I'm probably hunting my last bull with these bonus points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoldToyBox said:

Don't really want to cash in all my bonus points for a cow tag.  We get a cow nearly every year in Colorado, so I'm probably hunting my last bull with these bonus points.

Good call. A lot of responses that dont make sense cosidering you're sitting on 19 points.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

19 points on a late hunt...

Are you serious?

?? Am I serious about what?? You don’t think he could draw a late hunt with 19 points or you don’t think he should burn 19 points on a late hunt. I am a non resident & I drew late rifle with 6 points last year & it was my second choice.

12 hours ago, jdown said:

Your a Tool.

My point being is your dont know if your going to get drawn or not there is no guarantee. you can chase the points all you want and you may or may not get lucky.

every single one of my tags came with 4 max points the last 3 elk tags came with 0-1 point. he has a decent chance of getting drawn where ever he puts in. but it also depends on how many OTHER people put in for the same unit with that many points or more.

with that many points he should put in for a unit he knows,

22 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Why would anyone burn 19 points on a late tag or an early cow.

Even at 71 years old, that's just insane.

His original post said he wanted to draw a tag this year, preferably rifle but would take archery archery. He didn’t specify early or late season. So he could pretty easy draw a late tag with 19 points. Was just answering his question!

Good Lord.  I guess Go Hunt and all of those analytics are no match for Del the yote buster.  

Here is what I can see for 19 points Non Resident. 

Early rifle looks bleak for any premier unit.  Like in the 0.3% range for 3c and even less in the 23s, 27s etc.  

For archery non res with 19 points, you can easily draw 27 or 1 (100%) but 23N is back to O.4% and up to 83% for 3c and down to 0.7 for 9.  Let me know if you want any other units. Happy to help.

Late tags wouldn't be a problem anywhere.  

I'm sure Del's method works for him but I am a tool and rely on data when asked instead, or we can all just go yote busting!  That is more `funner` anyway.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Who was joking about what?

I think thomc was joking about spending 19 points in a cow tag, at least I took it as such.   

• Like 1