GoldToyBox

71 yrs old with 19 bonus points, what unit for a Bull

I give up, the point creep & AZ non resident rules keeps leaving me short of drawing a Bull tag for one of the premium units.

AZ Game Dept used to publish the draw odds by point and by unit by species but I can't find them this year?   Only finding the general draw odds by unit.

Can someone with access to the data tell me what units I can draw a tag for 2020  (Trailhead or Toprut or ??)  or point me to a site with the info?

I'm 71 yrs old and don't have many more years where I can get to the top of the mountain.  So this year I want to draw a AZ Bull tag.

I would prefer a Rifle tag but Archery is not out of the question.  

Any assistance is very much appreciated. 

With 19 points you could probably draw just about any late rifle or late archery tag. You have pretty good chance at early archery tags. Gohunt has pretty accurate draw odds statistics, but you need to join to have access to there info. It’s worth it to join in my opinion as they have good info on all the western states, and other valuable info & articles.

Old timer, any unit in particular you are interested in? Gimme a unit and I will run the numbers and post them. 

22S muzzleloader is a great hunt, and should be good chances with your points. If you get the tag, let me know.

I would look at 3a3c for early archery(83% draw odds) or 23 late rifle(100% draw odds). If I were to have one AZ elk hunt, I would want to experience the rut, but that is if you feel confident with a bow. That 23 late rifle hunt can be some tough terrain but some great bulls. 

3a3c archery jumped a couple points last year due to archery having the later dates but I would bet you would be in the bonus pass this year.

Good luck in the draw!

I dont mean to throw your mortality in your face but if you are willing to hire a guide you can pull this off.  You could put in for some mid tier units with a guide and fulfill your dream.  You have a good shot at many good units. 

• Like 2

Rereading original post.  Rifle preferred.  If you hired a guide you could probably do very well in units 8, 7w, 10, 5bn, 6a, 21, 22, 1, 27 on late rifle hunts.

you guys put too much into the point game.  4-5 years ago I put in for elk again we got 3 years in a row early archery bull I got 1st tag gave to kid, next year daughter got tag then the following year I got tag and gave it to kid. before that would get a rifle bull elk tag about every 2-3 years always the same units. from the 80s to mid 90's I got 3 bull elk tags but put in when I had someone to put in with. only went on 2 hunts elk dotn do anything for me lol

rifle Antelope the same way back in 97 98 and 2001 same unit think those were the years gave the daughter the last one.

My system is easy I put in what I want to hunt and where I want to hunt. if I dont get drawn no biggy if I do fantastic I got yote hunting and archery deer much better and funner.

only tag I really wanted from day one is a ram tag. been putting in since the 80s, the others are just fillers ;)

now that I dont have any kids to give tags too anymore I probably wont draw another tag.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for their help and info.

I'll filter through it in the morning.   Way past this old fella's bed time.

• Like 1