GoldToyBox

71 yrs old with 19 bonus points, what unit for a Bull

23 hours ago, GoldToyBox said:

With 19pts or 17pts the same units were available (per Toprut & Gohunt).  Only exception was Unit 3 early archery which dropped to less than 30% chance.  Allows me to hunt with my buddy (hopefully).  There were some other hunts but they conflict with scheduled huntin or fishin trips in other states.

Wishing everyone a great season filled with limited entry tags!

There is only two NR tags for bonus pass so to draw 22 u will need the most points of all NR in the draw because u have to draw the first tag in order to get both of them

With 17 points, pls do not hunt anything but a rut hunt!  Hold out a couple more years until you have enough points to get the early rifle/muzzleloader tag.....unless you want to hunt archery which you should have enough points.  I hunted Unit 9 early muzzleloader bull last year (21 point) and was a lot of fun with Chad Woodruff (Mossback).   Was passing on ~10 bulls a day and killed a great bull on the 5th day.   Also, make sure you can walk 5-10 miles a day if needed....  Good luck!

PS....make sure you purchase point guard too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, catfish campbell said:

With 17 points, pls do not hunt anything but a rut hunt!  Hold out a couple more years until you have enough points to get the early rifle/muzzleloader tag.....unless you want to hunt archery which you should have enough points.  I hunted Unit 9 early muzzleloader bull last year (21 point) and was a lot of fun with Chad Woodruff (Mossback).   Was passing on ~10 bulls a day and killed a great bull on the 5th day.   Also, make sure you can walk 5-10 miles a day if needed....  Good luck!

This guy will likely be in his mid to late 80’s before he could draw a rut rifle tag.  I’m guessing that’s a bet he’s not gonna take!!

On 2/9/2020 at 9:05 AM, GoldToyBox said:

Hello Everyone

Thanks for all the advice and Info.  My buddy decided to apply with me but he has less points.

We ended up applying for Unit 22 south early Muzzleloader and Unit 1 early archery.   Hopefully we will be in AZ this fall.

Again thanks to everyone on this post.

How many points does your friend have 

I am 53 this year … 20 points … resident.  I think you put in for what you really want to do.  heck … I got drawn for the Strip 2X in 3 years back in about 2008 and 2010.  Luck can happen.  I also won a car at the Clippers game back when I was 21 … got called down for a half court shot and swished it.  LUCK HAPPENS!!!  Just put in where you want and for what you want.

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, sjvcon said:

I am 53 this year … 20 points … resident.  I think you put in for what you really want to do.  heck … I got drawn for the Strip 2X in 3 years back in about 2008 and 2010.  Luck can happen.  I also won a car at the Clippers game back when I was 21 … got called down for a half court shot and swished it.  LUCK HAPPENS!!!  Just put in where you want and for what you want.

Oh yeah? Well I once won a pink camouflage 22 pistol so there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Oh yeah? Well I once won a pink camouflage 22 pistol so there!

I was just lucky Casey...you prayed for the pink one!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sjvcon said:

Guess you weren’t so lucky in the past 18 years for elk? I’d rather collect hunts than bonus points but to each their own.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:50 AM, catfish campbell said:

The problem with this thought is that he probably won’t catch max.  I did some math for a non res buddy who has 17 pts and looking for early archery 9.  I can’t remember how many he is behind but based on how many people are in front of him and at his point level it could take another 24 years to be in max. And that’s if others don’t jump into that unit with more points.   

Early rifle tags don’t even half as many tags as archery so the creep would be much more severe