Edge

Cowboy games

In the midst of the Great Depression, a guy's gotta earn a buck.

• Like 12

that   "500 LB" bear sure looked small to me.... and funny how the camera guy was always in the right spot at the right time. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

that   "500 LB" bear sure looked small to me.... and funny how the camera guy was always in the right spot at the right time. 

Also those plow horses sure resemble mules.

I gotta give the cameraman some credit, pretty good shots considering the camera technology of the day. And some of those shots while on horseback also.

Although a lot of those shots are staged it is true than old time cowboys would rope just about anything ........ fact.  Our ancestors were a tough bunch.  Cool post BTW.

• Like 3

PETA would have been up MGM's arse with an army on this one.... life was simpler back in the 1930's.  And entertainment was definitely better.

• Like 2

My bud told me he roped a Javelina one time, he said it ran under his horse and started snapping his teeth. He said the rodeo was on. I never ask him if he did it again.

• Like 1

My dad was a cowboy on a ranch south of Tucson when he was young and told me a story about him roping a javelina one time and his riding partner hog tied it and threw it up onto my dads saddle with my dad in the saddle still.  He said it turned into a rodeo real quick. 

• Like 1

Best line in the film.

7:30 "There, that'll hold em, nothing to it, as long as ............." 

When I was living near Quemado, NM a couple cowboy thought it would be fun to rope a bear in a small tree and pull him out.

This didn't please the bear much. One cowboy dropped the rope and ran leaving his partner holding a very pissed bear. Near ran up the rope and grabbed the fool by the leg and shook him like a rag doll.

Now the bear had to be tracked and killed and his head sent to the state vet lab. Joe roper got off with some stitches.

• Like 1