elecshoc

Effects of the virus scare?

Well thanks to Covid 19 the lines ain’t bad at Disneyland. I got to go on the Star Wars ride twice today 😂

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Wow! 1

Just got an email from work to hold off on booking travel. Looks like I'll be off for a while. 

Forgive my ignorance,  but why does the media keep calling it a disease? Isnt this a virus? 

So about like the 2009-2010 swine flu based on those numbers, when life went on normally, nothing was cancelled, we got over it and all went forward? 

Big difference is who was president at that time relative to now. 

Gonna be a really good buying opportunity in a few months. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

So about like the 2009-2010 swine flu based on those numbers, when life went on normally, nothing was cancelled, we got over it and all went forward? 

Big difference is who was president at that time relative to now. 

Gonna be a really good buying opportunity in a few months. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 12,469 deaths. Worldwide, up to 575,400 people died from pandemic swine flu

480>12

5 minutes ago, MT_Sourdough said:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 12,469 deaths. Worldwide, up to 575,400 people died from pandemic swine flu

480>12

Those estimated numbers above are only for US? Ok. Thought they were for world. 

Regardless, this panic is out of freaking control. 

4 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Forgive my ignorance,  but why does the media keep calling it a disease? Isnt this a virus? 

Maybe a typical media spin of wording, but also you can have the virus but no symptoms...I think that’s where they’re differentiating being “sick” with symptoms as disease vs virus. Technically you can argue whether and infection is a disease and muddy the water even more. 

I’m no expert, but I’ll tell you some of what we’ve been hearing at work. And I agree the panic is out of control, especially the run on toilet paper. 

the difference from common flu and other more severe flu is it spreads differently (some say more easily but that’s not clear that I’ve seen) and can be more severe symptoms requiring hospitalization. It can end up as a severe pneumonia resulting in hospitalization and sometimes requiring intubation. It’s probably a given that it’s going to be widespread over time but slowing the progression and the “spike” of how many how fast is important to prevent overwhelming hospital capacity. A good description of this in a couple of articles about flattening the curve. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/science/coronavirus-curve-mitigation-infection.html

so all the precautions with canceling events and minimizing travel helps slow the spread and flatten the curve...prolonging things but preventing the system capacity from being overwhelmed. 

Hope that makes sense and again I’m no expert. If the system gets overwhelmed I’m sure I’ll get pulled off the bench to go help operate portable hospitals somewhere like I have after hurricanes...hopefully before hunting season. LoL

• Like 1

My brother's inability to rest and take it easy has bit him on the butt.  The virus has  made a resurgence with him.

Now, my daughter, in the Bend, Oregon area, has a co-worker going in for testing.

Spring training canceled.