Sign in to follow this  
AzDiamondHeat

Youth cow unit 22 help

No, I am not going to be THAT guy.

So my niece got drawn for 22 youth cow starting Oct 9th. We have a new cabin in Strawberry so I plan to be hitting the area pretty good this summer learning it as best I can. Never hunted the area.

My questions...

I have never been on or helped a on a youth hunt. In mid oct are the elk in 22 usually still talking? Is this more of a spot and stalk type hunt, bog open glassing, calling them in? Just trying to get an idea what to expect and how to prepare her.

I will be her "guide" as nobody else in the family has any experience.

Oh, and I feel free to just shoot me your cow elk honey hole coordinates so I don't have to spend 6 pages rationalizing why you should....lol

• Like 1

May still hear a bull or two 

But we usually glass them on that hunt and have killed for than a few between landfill and east verde 

Should not have a problem locating a few herds of cows

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Oh, and any youth camps going on nearby?

Theres one in 23 off the 260 and young road. I know theres a deer camp down in tonto Basin too, not sure if they have elk hunters down there too.  The bulls are always still bugeling a bit in 23 on our youth hunts.

I've always wanted to try a calf in distress call on one of our hunts but never gave it a try yet.  With out any pressure I bet it might work. 

The youth cow hunts have become my favorite hunt of the year!  Bulls are usually screaming and cows are everywhere!  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

No, I am not going to be THAT guy.

So my niece got drawn for 22 youth cow starting Oct 9th. We have a new cabin in Strawberry so I plan to be hitting the area pretty good this summer learning it as best I can. Never hunted the area.

My questions...

I have never been on or helped a on a youth hunt. In mid oct are the elk in 22 usually still talking? Is this more of a spot and stalk type hunt, bog open glassing, calling them in? Just trying to get an idea what to expect and how to prepare her.

I will be her "guide" as nobody else in the family has any experience.

Oh, and I feel free to just shoot me your cow elk honey hole coordinates so I don't have to spend 6 pages rationalizing why you should....lol

If she is a new hunter the chasing bugles thing is fun and a sure way to get into elk, but can be a little challenging getting an ethical, high percentage shot. Grab a flat line map and check some tanks below the rim for activity. It is usually a little dry in October and those elk will be watering almost daily. I usually set up mid day on a vantage point with kiddos between 100-200 yards downwind of water or area you suspect elk are coming from and have always had great opportunities that way in a more controlled environment. If your scouting doesn't turn up anything you like send me a message and I can get you guys on a couple tanks that are historically producers. Take care, Mark

• Like 3

Should  not be a problem.  Make sure  the kid can shoot.  Practice practice practice.  If you get that covered, an Elk will be in the freezer. When it gets close to the hunt and you have looked around and are strugelin let us or me know.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  

I HAAAATE glassing or sitting and LOOOOOOVE calling but this one is about her so will do whatever it takes  to get her one.  Yes, it is her first big game and I agree the setting up in a controlled environment  should be better.  Hopefully we can get a little of both in for her to have rounded experience.  

Already had her on a few predator hunts and will keep practicing with her until then.  

For those that pmd or gave me a number I will certainly  give you a shout. Thanks again guys.  Looking forward  to putting some miles on the teryx and learning the area.  

• Like 3

You got friends in 5000ft high places. As the man said your covered when it comes time..

• Like 1

My favorite hunt!!! My son has the same tag.  You shouldn't have any problem locating some cows.  The small bulls are definitely still screaming and give away locations. Make sure your niece gets lots of shooting practice in and you will be good to go.  

I highly recommend purchasing a system to allow her to shoot standing up.  That are has a lot of 5 foot tall Manzaneta that makes shooting prone almost impossible.  We use the triclawps.

20200310_204133.jpg

• Like 4

The elk always talk on the way to their beds that time of year. Timing is perfect for new hunters. Brush is the only negative in 22. Shots off tripods are definitely the way to practice. 

Not sure what part of the state ur in but I’d be willing to take/meet you in payson and spend the day showing you exactly where/what you need....Dave

Im in North phx 

• Like 4