Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Took a drive today

I haven’t been out much lately but today I decided I’d take a drive. I went behind the house and checked out some spots that are close but I haven’t been to in awhile. Creeks were running cold and clear and I was surprised not to see any tire tracks on the road. Anyways enjoy the pics. From my back porch I can see the turquoise shining on the hill of this mine after a good rain. It was/is a copper mine. Still has a claim but hasn’t been worked in many years. Over all it was a nice half day trip away from home.

974C8C62-0214-4FA0-85DE-7D88B4CDF7D1.jpeg

7E22602B-F419-48C9-B2AA-FAEFEC791542.jpeg

B372DA25-8C64-44D5-B5FD-7613A3B35B87.jpeg

A609D467-B484-4A42-AF1C-E7FD6AA0D300.jpeg

9E1A9891-5BAC-4D4E-9ED0-D4581BD4FAD3.jpeg

• Like 10

Never saw the thrill of turquoise as jewelry but I gotta say that's pretty freaking cool!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

Never saw the thrill of turquoise as jewelry but I gotta say that's pretty freaking cool!

Unless it has silver streaks in it I feel the same way. I actually glassed this spot for about a year before I decided to go find it.

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful. How's your ankle healing?

I have a bunch of tailings from a copper mine that turn various colors of green and blue like that. I thought it was turquoise but was told it is the copper in the rock oxidizing.  Looks sorta like this wen it gets thick:

OxidizedCopper.jpg

• Like 2

I won’t argue with you guys since I don’t know, but you can beak pieces off and crumble it in your fingers. Some of it it hard and dark like Bisbee turquoise. I’ve seen raw copper before and never had it crumble in my hands. Like I said before, there is a claim on it so I’ve never taken any home to play with, just fondled it at the site.

12 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I won’t argue with you guys since I don’t know, but you can beak pieces off and crumble it in your fingers. Some of it it hard and dark like Bisbee turquoise. I’ve seen raw copper before and never had it crumble in my hands. Like I said before, there is a claim on it so I’ve never taken any home to play with, just fondled it at the site.

The blue pretty mineral you are seeing is Azurite, a byproduct of copper. Some is soft some is hard but not hard enough for jewelry.

I use it to fill in cracks in wooden bowls a table tops. Crush it to a powder and  mix it with super glue or resin, looks like the cracks are inlayed with turquoise