oscararias102909

Financing travel trailer.

We bought our first TT new in 2006. Sold that one in 2015 and got a big 5th wheel within 4mo. We just sold the 5th wheel back in February. 

We loved every minute we used them. We certainly did not use them enough because as someone mentioned here already work, school and life in general got in the way. When we did use the trailer it often made for some of our very best memories as a family. When ever I asked my kids if they wanted to go to Disneyland or hunting in the trailer we always went hunting. 

Now my oldest will be going to college next year so I figured that I had to get my financial situation in order.

When I proposed selling our trailer my family would not have it. It took a lot of convincing but they finally understood. 

Watching "our" trailer being towed away by it's new owner left each of us with watery eyes.

We will get another one one day. Even though I know exactly what it costs and the work they take for us it is/was worth it. 

• Like 1

Hmmm.. 

I see the argument for renting over buying for sure if you buy one and finance it. But if you want to buy something functional you dont need to spend a ton of money. 

Sure a $5000 camper dont look as cool as the nice new ones at the campground but honestly who gives a chit.  If you dont care about keepin up with the Jones's and it does everything the nice new shiny ones do who cares?  Buy used, sell used. Think I paid $7500 for ours and could probably fetch $5k pretty easy, $4k if I'm desperate for a fast sale. Had it for sheesh like 6 years. So my cost per year at a $4k resale is something like $600 add tires, bearings, batteries and upgrades add another $500 average per year. So at $1100 I'm good with owning an average looking camper.  

• Like 3

You can create the very same memory’s without needing a payment or paying interest. 

4 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Hmmm.. 

I see the argument for renting over buying for sure if you buy one and finance it. But if you want to buy something functional you dont need to spend a ton of money. 

Sure a $5000 camper dont look as cool as the nice new ones at the campground but honestly who gives a chit.  If you dont care about keepin up with the Jones's and it does everything the nice new shiny ones do who cares?  Buy used, sell used. Think I paid $7500 for ours and could probably fetch $5k pretty easy, $4k if I'm desperate for a fast sale. Had it for sheesh like 6 years. So my cost per year at a $4k resale is something like $600 add tires, bearings, batteries and upgrades add another $500 average per year. So at $1100 I'm good with owning an average looking camper.  

I 100% agree, plenty of great campers for great deals right now.  

Buy used. I bought an 06 Weekend Warrior Toyhauler from a buddy for $6000 about 2 years ago. It will sleep 4-6 easy and tows well. It has an onboard generator and has served my family and my hunting buddy really well for the last couple years. The only major expenses so far are a pair of batteries and resealing the roof. Tires will probably be this year, but that isn't horrible. 

Heck we had a great weekend in it last summer and jammed 9 people in it. 5 kids and 4 adults. We had a great time. Now we are talking about getting a SxS to put in the back which is nice. My hauler is only a 21 footer so only a RZR 900 or smaller fits well, but who cares. It is a great trailer for us. 

It is a huge upgrade over a tent...

8 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Did this guy ask for financing advice or financial advice?  

Aren’t they the same thing?

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Hmmm.. 

Exactly, and its yours.

10 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Did this guy ask for financing advice or financial advice?  

They both go hand in hand, if you’re going to finance something you should have your financial house in order. I think everyone was trying to help this person get the big picture to think about before taking the dive..

• Like 3

Part of the reason costs could be so high in owning a trailer or boat is that nobody does their own maintenance.  Some don’t take good care of their stuff either.  I’ve had a few things go wrong over the years but I get some tools and a meter out and figure it out.  Some are easy and some require YouTube!😂. Always check tire pressure and park on boards will go along ways in saving your tires.  If it’s sitting for too long then roll it a little or jack it up and rotate the tires a little.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1