oscararias102909

Financing travel trailer.

I agree with Twigsnapper.  I always hunt for deals on trailers and there was one time I wish I would have bought one.  It was used but hardly.  What kept me from doing it is all the things that come with it like tags, insurance, cleaning and the maintenance like tires, plumbing and leaks.  Storage is another thing, but I can store a 24’ with no problem on my property.  Don’t underestimate renting one, at least in the beginning.  I talk to a lot of RV owners and most only use their campers about 4 times per year if they’re lucky.  You have to be honest with that part.  If you only use it a few times, what’s the problem with renting one that has everything in working order?  If you are a camping fool that goes out once a month for 4 or 5 days, it might be better to buy one.  Most people I know work for a living and have chores to do on weekends and if they get out, it’s only for the day and they leave the camper behind.

If you buy new, get some lube for the plate fees.  They base it on  book value.  My first  4 travel trailers ( my needs evolved)  were licensed with permanent tags, $75 and done.  Last two, which were used,  I was violated.  I think my current one runs about $300 a year.

58 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

If you buy new, get some lube for the plate fees.  They base it on  book value.  My first  4 travel trailers ( my needs evolved)  were licensed with permanent tags, $75 and done.  Last two, which were used,  I was violated.  I think my current one runs about $300 a year.

Need lube for all the “issues” that shake out of new trailers too. Even the dealer’s service department was joking about how long they had my trailer in the first year compared to the time I had it. Maybe my trailer is a lemon, but it had a lot of issues that I fixed under warranty the first year. Between the plate fees and service needs I’ll never buy another new one. 

as for financing...I’ve used a personal bank loan for the first trailer I bought on here and paid off in less than a year. New one (2018 model) has RV loan on it from the dealer through US Bank. Not the greatest rate, but every time I’ve looked at refinancing it the rates I can find aren’t any better. Now planning to pay it off in another year so it doesn’t matter to me. 

• Like 1

While I don’t own a camper, I go with those that do.  Maintenance is a big thing with them.  It seems like everyone I’ve been in has had a water faucet problem of some type.  Another common problem is the dish TV.  Make sure you have two spare tires too.  Trailers are the one thing on wheels that are real hard on tires.  

Another thing I learned that’s not related to the upkeep is that they are prone to getting broken into.  It’s wise to not leave  pricey items when you go out and leave the trailer all day.  Maybe take the IPads and pistols with you when you leave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

Need lube for all the “issues” that shake out of new trailers too. Even the dealer’s service department was joking about how long they had my trailer in the first year compared to the time I had it. Maybe my trailer is a lemon, but it had a lot of issues that I fixed under warranty the first year. Between the plate fees and service needs I’ll never buy another new one. 

as for financing...I’ve used a personal bank loan for the first trailer I bought on here and paid off in less than a year. New one (2018 model) has RV loan on it from the dealer through US Bank. Not the greatest rate, but every time I’ve looked at refinancing it the rates I can find aren’t any better. Now planning to pay it off in another year so it doesn’t matter to me. 

Trailers are just boats on wheels, they just  sit till you want to use it, and then you throw money at it.  I've been lucky  with relatively few problems that I cant fix myself , but I learned the expensive way to replace the tires no less than every three years in AZ.  even covered, they don't last.  The damage that is done to the side of an aluminum trailer is as expensive as body damage to a Bentley or Rolls I would  guess.( never had one of those cars and never will)  But, when the winds blowing, rain pouring down, or heavy wet snow is falling, they are worth their weight in gold for a good night sleep.

• Like 3

I 100% agree with NoTags. Tires need to be changed very often. Last year I tried to squeeze one more trip on my tires and it cost me big time.

Saguaro said it best!   USE New and Good Tires on it. Use the best tires You can get for it. Driving Semi to Palm Springs and back 5 days a week, can't tell Ya how many I seen dissinegrated in the median or side of the road. Many cause of blowout on little tiny tires and people going 80 MPH. Because You have a big strong Truck that can go 80 don't think your trailer can too. Same with boat trailers. In 95% of the campers I saw  in pieces the vehicle was upside down also! Don't be cheap on tires.I posted this a year ago and will post it again as people don't think about it.................BOB! 

• Like 1

I bought new in 2016. Between the monthly payments, storage fees, registration and insurance I could have taken a trip to the caribbean every year instead. We sold it when we became debt free a few years later and don’t regret it.  $4,000 a year divided by 4 trips a year. Each trip cost me $1,000. Better to rent. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Curtis Reed said:

I bought new in 2016. Between the monthly payments, storage fees, registration and insurance I could have taken a trip to the caribbean every year instead. We sold it when we became debt free a few years later and don’t regret it.  $4,000 a year divided by 4 trips a year. Each trip cost me $1,000. Better to rent. 

Dang now you’re gonna make me do some math and see how much my trips are costing me...

I have wanted to buy a toy hauler for about 15 years but could never pull the trigger for one reason or another.  I almost bought notags  trailer when he was upgrading but we were in the process of building a new house.  Now I have the money but I have done the math as well.  For my situation, it is better to rent a couple times a year than to buy.  I still sleep well in my kodiak canvas tent when it's just me or with the boys.  When wife or girls want to go, I can rent.  Perhaps, when I retire I may change my mind?

Matter or fact, if anyone in the show low area has a travel trailer they would like to rent for a week or 10 days at end of May or first part of June let me know.  Nothing real big or fancy as it will most likely be just be me and the wife.  We want to camp along east fork of black river or big lake.

John  623-680-4458

$100-$150 per day is what I’m seeing.  Some additional costs here and there depending on features and a generator. 

On 4/20/2020 at 11:38 AM, Lucafu1 said:

Get what you want, you only live once.

^^^^^ THIS

I work with a guy who has money and that's all he talks about all day every day. Always tells me i'm doing it wrong and yaps about other guys doing it wrong then goes home to his couch and thinks about his money. Now 60 plus years old and hasn't done a dang thing but collect money. All his stories ended about 30 years ago, but at least he isn't paying interest on anything. HAHA

• Like 2