az_runner

Pop-Up Campers, good or bad idea?

What do you guys think about pop-up campers for family camping and hunting?

I’ve always been a tent guy and normally drag the family of four out to slightly remote areas for a night of dispersed tent camping.  I’m big on the no maintenance and weight of a tent though these past few years have been a struggle jamming in a tent with the wife, two young boys, and 90lb dog. I end up sleeping like crap and waking to feel like someone beat the shat out of me all night.  I’m just wondering if things would truly be easier in a pop-up and make for a better time for the family.

I’ve slept many-many nights in the back of my old Tacoma or 4Runner while hunting and doing backcountry trip. As for hunting, it seems like it would be nice to have a solid, yet mobile base camp with a few partial luxuries.

I just don't know at this point, I’m still tossing around this pop-up trailer idea and have been looking at used Forest River- Rockwood ESP models.

I have tired about every type of shelter for hunting and family camping- tents, tent trailer, cab over pop up and travel trailer - all have their pros and cons, for me the travel trailer is the best - 

I have had 2 pop up tent trailers- way better than a tent - you can store a lot of camping gear in them and saves a lot of room at home - getting organized with bins helps a lot so when you go camping most of your stuff is already packed.  My second pop up was a Jayco Baja with the platform on front, it was awesome.   It had a water heater and the family could take a warm shower, it had a little refrigerator (sucks couldn't get to it when collapsed), nice two burner stove.... really liked it.  It was lifted so I could get it further back in the hills.... but ultimately sold it and went for a travel trailer and never looked back.

Why do I like the travel trailer so much?  I didn't until I could park at my home ( we moved) - plug it in a week before and you can store  refrigerated and frozen food, my ice usage went down- easily stay 13 days without needing ice.  Pack cloths and every thing else days before leaving, then the day of leaving, it's not a mad scramble to pack and leave, best of all when we come home, I can plug it back in and unload over the next couple of days if I get in late....

Tent trailers are nice, if you get one, make sure you check it for mold and inspect the seams where the canvas attaches to the roof... good luck 

• Like 3

I liked the pop up trailer till I bought a boat, then went to a pop up camper. Then you can tow a boat or quad trailer. Till you build a cabin, then you hunt around  the cabin. Problem solved😀

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. The one I keep going back to is lifted so I can still get to a few decent spots. Just thinking of waking to warm water and a heated bed when it's in the 30s outside, is nice too. Most are even prewired for AC and heating to some capacity with a shower hookup outside or the without taking room up from using those goofy shower/crapper cassettes inside.

Same as was said above. I started with a popup because the wife didn't like sleeping in a tent. I loved my popup. Then the wife wanted a bathroom and shower so got a small trailer. I loved that trailer even more than the popup. Then the wife wanted  a separate bedroom from the main room so had to get a 5th wheel and new diesel truck to pull it. I LOVE my 5th wheel.

Bottom line...keep the tent and get a $10 air mattress.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I went the opposite direction.  I had a popup for years and used it for family camping and hunting.  But when I finally decided to get a side by side I had to make a choice.  I ended up selling the popup and buying a wall tent.  I couldn't tow both.  I don't see myself ever getting a toy hauler either.  I really like the wall tent.  I have much more room than I did in the popup.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Same as was said above. I started with a popup because the wife didn't like sleeping in a tent. I loved my popup. Then the wife wanted a bathroom and shower so got a small trailer. I loved that trailer even more than the popup. Then the wife wanted  a separate bedroom from the main room so had to get a 5th wheel and new diesel truck to pull it. I LOVE my 5th wheel.

Bottom line...keep the tent and get a $10 air mattress.

Yeah if you want to save money get a bigger tent and some nice cots. We went from tents to travel trailer, then new truck, now 5th wheel...our family loves it. I’ve used pop-ups too and a definite improvement over our tents, especially just having a better place to sit to put on your boots getting out of bed...I hate waking up on the ground. For my wife, the biggest selling point was the toilet (even a cheap cassette toilet) to keep from having to go outside overnight...I can’t disagree with that logic especially when it’s below freezing out. 

I had the RT-11.  Loved it at first then everything starts to break, fridge, becomes storage box, never used inside shower, windows become ripped and unthreaded.

And then sold it for half of what I bought it for.

Sold it bought a small utility trailer, got a Alakanak tent, all the caming fixens, and its all together, just hook up and go. No loading and unloading from garage..

• Like 1

All good stuff here and I can certainly appreciate the wide view of perspectives and honesty.  I would love to jump from tossing air mattresses in a tent and go to a 5th wheel, but it’s not going to happen for some time or unless I can sell off my kids. My buddy had an old travel camper, but then I start looking at storage cost, so that turns into a deterrent for now. I’ll probably keep looking for a decent used pop-up and even toss around that idea of a utility trailer with a solid canvas tent.

Yeah, some of the prices in Arizona are just way out of whack by a few grand. Utah out to the Midwest have prices that are a little more in line with the majority of the US market. I was told that the manufacturing plants were shut-down for a few months, so new is few and far between and used gets grabbed right away.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, az_runner said:

I was told that the manufacturing plants were shut-down for a few months, so new is few and far between and used gets grabbed right away.

Exactly...camped next to a guy this weekend whose son works for Jayco. Said the same thing about shutdown and delays/shortages on new ones and I’ve heard the used ones are already moving fast thanks to quarantine and everyone wanting to get our camping instead of flying and staying in hotels. Of course that means a buyers market in a year or 3 when those folks decide to sell...

some good deals on used ones out there...my friend picked up a nice pop-up on here a couple weeks ago and has been very pleased so far. 

my comment about growing needs from tent to fifth wheel wasn’t meant to say jump into something bigger...just be prepared that once you get started with trailers your taste and needs/wants may grow. Heck I’m already forming a list of wants for my next truck and trailer...that could be several years out. Then my kids will be older and my wants may change significantly...

My perspective seems to be different than the majority here.   Years ago I bought a used pop-up, and spent several years camping/hunting/fishing out of it.   Over time though, I found that the kids and I really spent the vast majority of our time outside of it though (cooking, eating, playing, chilling, whatever....).   I found that mainly we just used it up sleep in.   Plus it took up space on the side of my house and ate up tires like crazy (Actually had THREE blowouts in a single Utah camping trip once! 🤣).    I ended up selling it and buying an Alaknak + quality cots/bags. Cammo-cot bunk cots are great to increase sleeping capacity in a tent!!  That was about 10 years ago, and I haven’t looked back.   Tent camping (or no tent under stars) all the way, for me!!!

Good luck in your choice no matter what, and have fun in our outdoors!!!

S.

• Like 2