lonne

Mask Requirements

Saeed wrote this one on April 10.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky, child and outdoor

This is Lauren. She is a good friend and an ECMO/ICU nurse at my hospital. She is one of our best. An incredibly kind human and a badass nurse. Today she stood up for healthcare workers as protestors descended upon the State Capitol. She stood in silence as people called her a ‘fake nurse’ & ‘paid actor’ amongst other horrendous things. Ironically, she has spent many days in the Covid ICU caring for our sickest patients. She stood for those who are on life support and have no voice of their own. She stood for the 42,604 Americans who have died so far. She stood for her colleagues; nurses, therapists, techs, janitorial staff, doctors and security amongst others. She stood up for those very protestors who hurled obscenities at her. When they inevitably contract Covid-19 and transmit it to their loved ones, Lauren will be one of the first faces they will see when they are admitted to the ICU. She may also be one of the last faces that they ever see. When in their ignorance and hubris, they have caused the demise of their own mother or father, Lauren will be standing in silence next to them yet again, this time in mourning. She made us all incredibly proud today.

We extend an invitation to those who believe that they are being stripped of their civil liberties or that this is a giant hoax or that healthcare workers and the media are sensationalizing this pandemic for our own vested interests. To those who would turn a global pandemic into a twisted partisan issue. To those who foolishly believe that this virus discriminates based off of political ideology, race, religion or creed. We invite you to come spend a day in our Covid ICU with our nurses, therapists and physicians. You will spend the day wearing an n95 mask which will pretty much cut off circulation to your face. Don’t worry, you will get used to the sensation after a while. You’ll also get used to the dull constant headache that becomes a fixture after you have spent the day rebreathing CO2. You will learn how to don and doff PPE each time you interact with one of your patients. You will learn to live with the constant uncertainty of wondering if you have already caught the virus. If tomorrow will be the last time that you see your loved ones for the immediate future because you will need to start self quarantining. You will learn the familiar subtle change in tone of the code bells prior to a ‘Code Blue’ being called on the overhead. As you rush into a strangers room, you will gaze upon their lifeless eyes and blue lips. You will frantically begin to perform CPR, painfully aware of the fact that with each chest compression, you may potentially be aerosolizing the virus. You will watch as we place invasive central lines, arterial lines and chest tubes. You will stand at the head of the bed with us while we intubate a Covid-19 patient, inches away from their mouth, always cognizant of the damage that can be done with just one cough. You will stand next to us when we tell a husband over the phone that his wife has passed away, surrounded by strangers in space suits. The worst part of it all, he will not be allowed to see the love of his life to say he loves her one last time because of the infection risk it poses to him and other members of the public. You will stand in silence as you listen to another human express the deepest level of anguish possible, the tone of his cries seared into your memory.

Perhaps then you will understand.

26 minutes ago, AZLance said:

Nice link.  Nowhere does it say "don't wear masks".    In fact, the last paragraph specifically says; "However, doctors say masks can be effective and should be worn by people who are already sick.That will help contain their coughs and sneezes from spreading to healthy people standing nearby."   It makes the argument for wearing masks to protect others.  Point being, if you are asymptomatic and don't realize you are carrying it, then wearing the mask will help reduce the risk of others becoming infected by you.

• Like 1

They are automatically counting anyone living in the same house with a person who tested positive as a COVID case. 

the numbers they are telling us are totally bogus. 

1 minute ago, JSR said:

They are automatically counting anyone living in the same house with a person who tested positive as a COVID case. 

the numbers they are telling us are totally bogus. 

Where did you get that info?  What is your source???    (If true, that would clearly be a MAJOR controversy.   I have not heard or seen any reporting on that, and you would think that the admin would be all over that!)

18 minutes ago, aznative65 said:

Nice link.  Nowhere does it say "don't wear masks".    In fact, the last paragraph specifically says; "However, doctors say masks can be effective and should be worn by people who are already sick.That will help contain their coughs and sneezes from spreading to healthy people standing nearby."   It makes the argument for wearing masks to protect others.  Point being, if you are asymptomatic and don't realize you are carrying it, then wearing the mask will help reduce the risk of others becoming infected by you.

Why should I change my lifestyle 'to protect others"?  If they are worried or immune compromised... they should stay inside the rest of their life.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AZLance said:

Why should I change my lifestyle 'to protect others"?  If they are worried or immune compromised... they should stay inside the rest of their life.

I'm not personally saying you should do anything.  I was simply noting what was mentioned in the link you posted.  You do you, and I'll do me.   😂

Good show hunters.  I guess rednecks are very self centered.  The masks are primarily to protect others from you, but since you are a big macho person and could handle any little stinkin virus.  And will never be seen wearing a mask and looking scared, then keep on looking macho stupid.😷  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, AZLance said:

Wow!  You're quite the humanitarian.   I imagine your circle of close friends is quite small. with your" it's all about  ME, ME, ME"  philosophy.  Probably think its okay for you to drink and drive too?

• Like 3

I think the N95 masks may help a bit but I read they will not prevent covid from leaving the mask when you breathe out. We use them at work for dust. The cloth masks, bandanas and gaiters don't help one bit yet they all qualify for wearing a mask. Just another control issue from leaders and the medical community. That little turd Fauci has changed his positions 180 degrees several times. Phoenix is talking about a $250 fine for not wearing a mask so my bet is that is the basis for this BS.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ThomC said:

Good show hunters.  I guess rednecks are very self centered.  The masks are primarily to protect others from you, but since you are a big macho person and could handle any little stinkin virus.  And will never be seen wearing a mask and looking scared, then keep on looking macho stupid.😷  

Funny I’ve noticed when I go to Ace and Home Depot I’m in the minority when wearing a mask...you might be onto something with the macho idea. I don’t personally care either way but I’m wearing one. I work in and around hospitals enough that I don’t want to spread it if I’ve got it. 

Some of this argument reminds me of the camo clothing argument...I don’t know if it works or not but it sure doesn’t hurt! And yeah I know nobody is mandating hunters wear camo but the logic is similar. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ringer said:

I think the N95 masks may help a bit but I read they will not prevent covid from leaving the mask when you breathe out. We use them at work for dust. The cloth masks, bandanas and gaiters don't help one bit yet they all qualify for wearing a mask. Just another control issue from leaders and the medical community. That little turd Fauci has changed his positions 180 degrees several times. Phoenix is talking about a $250 fine for not wearing a mask so my bet is that is the basis for this BS.

"The cloth masks, bandanas and gaiters don't help one bit......"    Where did you figure that out???    The vast majority of medical experts disagree with you.  They are not saying they prevent completely, but they virtually all agree that it does help out with suppression of particles (mist, etc.) as people exhale, and hence reduces the risk of spreading to others. 

I honestly thought they found out the virus doesn’t get spread by asymptomatic people. I don’t remember where I saw or read that. COVID is a scam. I get it, it’s a real virus, some people die from it but I don’t think it’s half as big as the media is making it out to be.  If it spreads like the sheeple think then I should have gotten it a couple times, along with a ton of co-workers and family members. Take it from a guy who doesn’t wear a mask...

I don’t get it. People should WANT to do the right thing and protect the elderly or vulnerable. You better believe that if this virus was killing the young, the vast majority of older people would do ANYTHING they could to protect us. And in this younger, self centered generation, we as a whole can’t even wear a stupid mask to protect them.

the WORST case scenario is that masks only help prevent the spread of this virus a little bit. If we could prevent the spread by each infected person by about 1/6, thiS pandemic would be slowing rather then exponentially growing.

its easy to act macho, or buy into the myth that this pandemic is some political ploy until it’s your loved one that doesn’t make it. And the way things are going, most people will probably lose someone they care about to this. We have. And a good number of those could be prevented by slowing the spread by wearing a stupid mask. It’s not that hard. All we have to do is swallow our pride, stop politicizing this pandemic and Follow some VERY simple but effective common sense practices to protect our own.

• Like 4