Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

.243 for mulies?

2 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

The shake is the best part!  I still get them but have learned to talk myself down a few notches.

That's what I had to do for my deer! Like I will aim and find myself like trying to breath slowly to stop the shaking. I cant imagine what imma be like with one of those Kiabab bucks!

A .243 is plenty fine for any deer sized game pretty far out there dependent on BC and MV.

Fret shot placement and secondarily the bullet. The cartridge is plenty fine. 

Youll be looking for shot grouping. Biggest mistake.  Different brands of ammo will have different points of impact. 

Meaning 100 grain Federals may not group in the same spot as 100 gr. Hornaday or Winchester

So dont spend a lot of time sighting in different brands/weights. Look for best grouping first! Once you find the one you like , then sight it in zeroed at like 200

7 hours ago, elkaholic said:

Youll be looking for shot grouping. Biggest mistake.  Different brands of ammo will have different points of impact. 

Meaning 100 grain Federals may not group in the same spot as 100 gr. Hornaday or Winchester

So dont spend a lot of time sighting in different brands/weights. Look for best grouping first! Once you find the one you like , then sight it in zeroed at like 200

Sounds good! Thank you!

I have quite a few .243s now. it is an  excellent round. when I had only a .243 I had absolute confidence in it.  my  first .243 has harvested a lot of deer and several antelope. two elk.  redd what kind of .243 do you have? 

56 minutes ago, roninflag said:

I have quite a few .243s now. it is an  excellent round. when I had only a .243 I had absolute confidence in it.  my  first .243 has harvested a lot of deer and several antelope. two elk.  redd what kind of .243 do you have? 

I have a youth rem model 700. I'm really short so I perfer a shorter gun rather than longer. It's easier for me to hold steadier standing which is how I had to take most my shots

On 7/3/2020 at 10:06 PM, UggRedBilly said:

I have a youth rem model 700. I'm really short so I perfer a shorter gun rather than longer. It's easier for me to hold steadier standing which is how I had to take most my shots

It is going to frigid cold. Like 0 dgF at night. You might not see temps above freezing until 10AM and then by 3 it's be getting back into the low 40's. Go put on your pack and the heavy coat you will wear on the hunt then shoulder the rifle and get back to us.

BTW, Wear that coat and go out and shoot rabbits all summer. Don't snipe them. Stalk em and shoot them on the run from 20 yards to 100. Yeah, get good at doing that. Then a deer won't be so intimidating. You need to work on those reflexes. People think they are going to see some dumb deer a long ways off then have all the time in the world. A rental truck won't happen for you at your age. If you have to use a 2WD get some chains and don't go solo if you don't have to.

4 hours ago, PRDATR said:

It is going to frigid cold. Like 0 dgF at night. You might not see temps above freezing until 10AM and then by 3 it's be getting back into the low 40's. Go put on your pack and the heavy coat you will wear on the hunt then shoulder the rifle and get back to us.

BTW, Wear that coat and go out and shoot rabbits all summer. Don't snipe them. Stalk em and shoot them on the run from 20 yards to 100. Yeah, get good at doing that. Then a deer won't be so intimidating. You need to work on those reflexes. People think they are going to see some dumb deer a long ways off then have all the time in the world. A rental truck won't happen for you at your age. If you have to use a 2WD get some chains and don't go solo if you don't have to.

Will do! I love rabbit hunting! Are they safe to eat in the summer? I don't wanna waste the animal that i took its life from! 

Also due to me on a budget does the camo on a rifle hunt really help THAT much or will a grey or dark blue coat work? Because camo is extremely expensive and I cannot find my size in thrift stores (adult mens small). 

Also for the hunt I am going to borrow someone's quad so I might be able to camp rather than use a hotel every night and drive 30 miles where I would like to go!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Will do! I love rabbit hunting! Are they safe to eat in the summer? I don't wanna waste the animal that i took its life from! 

Also due to me on a budget does the camo on a rifle hunt really help THAT much or will a grey or dark blue coat work? Because camo is extremely expensive and I cannot find my size in thrift stores (adult mens small). 

Also for the hunt I am going to borrow someone's quad so I might be able to camp rather than use a hotel every night and drive 30 miles where I would like to go!

Camo helps break up your silhouette and getting it torn up or blood on it is better than it happening to regular clothes but I hunted for years in the 60's-mid 90's and never used it. Also now we can get high tech camo that is specifically geared to hot weather or really cold weather that will keep you from getting wet when you sweat and wick the moisture away.

I've have deer bust me at 300 yards when I had camo on and was moving.

4 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Camo helps break up your silhouette and getting it torn up or blood on it is better than it happening to regular clothes but I hunted for years in the 60's-mid 90's and never used it. Also now we can get high tech camo that is specifically geared to hot weather or really cold weather that will keep you from getting wet when you sweat and wick the moisture away.

I've have deer bust me at 300 yards when I had camo on and was moving.

Gotcha! I'll be on the look out for new camo!

I think its less about your camo and more about watching how you position yourself, how fast you are moving around, how much you move, how loud... etc I wouldnt worry about camo if it cuts into your budget for other more necessary supplies. 

Countless deer have fallen to dudes wearing red plaid. I wear camo because it is my "hunting gear" and because it is comfortable in the weather I am hunting. Wear something COMFORTABLE that you can adjust with the weather.

My FIL just killed his first elk last year at 70 yds wearing ski bibs and a shiny rain parka. It wasn't raining but that was the only cold weather gear he had. Loud and FAR from discreet. But he held still and the elk never saw him.

Movement is your enemy.

.243 will work very well. If you want non lead for the kaibab I recommend hornady 95grain super performance sst. If your gonna shoot lead i recommend 100grain. 

40 minutes ago, Beaton said:

.243 will work very well. If you want non lead for the kaibab I recommend hornady 95grain super performance sst. If your gonna shoot lead i recommend 100grain. 

sst's are lead

• Like 1