Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Saltwater 2020

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

How many Gram flat fall 

All of them. Lost an 80 and that big 250...  Sardine and Mackerel?  I thought the "Glow" pattern was kind of gimmicky but caught 2 with the 250g. Snipers were doing well in the boils.

Every hit was on the fall..

Lost both of these. I thought the small one was 80g but it was the 130g.

20200715_153721.jpg

Edited by Ohthatguy
130g was smallest

1 hour ago, Arizona Griz said:

Great summary. Our trip is still 3 weeks away.

Hopefully some decent Yellowfin schools are around by then. A limit of 2 BFT is nice but adding another 5 YFT to the cooler would be really nice..

Good luck.

Great trip, congrats Ohthatguy! I'm headed out 24th to 27th for a 2.5 Day on the Outrider. Hope the fishing stays good!

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

@ohtahtguy - nice write up and you went big on the flatfalls. I may have 1 or 2 of the 250 size.  When that bite is that good on jigs, go with the heaviest and burn them in.  Did you fish the open face the entire time or did you have a conventional? Congrats on going and having a blast and getting a chance to fight and land some good fish!

When using irons, I usually use my Tranx 500 and that real keeps up.  You can burn the jig fast, go sow, and since it is a level wind, you dont have to worry about thumbing or indexing line.  Oh yah, tip gets some vet wrap and wrap your fingers. 

I can't wait, I go out on  my 6 pack on 8/1.  It maybe a day or to for me to post.

• Like 1

Looks like some of the fleet is down by 371, 425

Screenshot_20200715-225642_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, n2horns said:

Did you fish the open face the entire time or did you have a conventional? 

I started jigging with a speedmaster 12ii 2 speed with 65 braid/40 flouro. Once the bite turned on and after losing the 160g jig, I switched to the fth60ld2 with 100/80 which rips it up pretty fast. Tried nonstop straight up, 5 cranks up, 1 sec pause, 5 more cranks and several other patterns but just never got hit coming up. Didn't seem to matter though as they had no problem eating it on the way down. I would almost always stop it for a second or two after every 3 or 4 swooshes on the drop. I'd let it go about 200 yards/drop before ripping it back up. My arm is still sore..

I was only using about a 15' leader so maybe that had something to do with the lack of action on the way up.

Lee,

Here is one for you. Northern cal halibut my step dad caught yesterday. 78lbs

IMG_20200715_143430707.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This am the fleet is piled up tight.

Screenshot_20200716-083633_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

looking for a buddy for tuna

any interest in the excalibur out of h&m-1.5 day leaves8pm 7/27 returns 6am 7/29.  my car, i will pay gas, need help w driving and humping gear on and off the boat.  making one stop in far east mesa, safe place to park at my sons' brown/ellsworth.  375.00, boat is huge-video of boat on the website.  not a 'go for sure' trip.

lee

928-207-0432

4 hours ago, biglakejake said:

looking for a buddy for tuna

any interest in the excalibur out of h&m-1.5 day leaves8pm 7/27 returns 6am 7/29.  my car, i will pay gas, need help w driving and humping gear on and off the boat.  making one stop in far east mesa, safe place to park at my sons' brown/ellsworth.  375.00, boat is huge-video of boat on the website.  not a 'go for sure' trip.

lee

928-207-0432

Interested,  I'm gonna get ahold of you.

• Like 1