Sobrbiker

Ground blind vs ghillie?

I’m torn between getting a ground blind or just having my APC Sapper ghillie in my pack.

I prefer spot and stalk hunting, but the only times I’ve sent an arrow (both rookie clean misses) have been out of a blind over water.

I’m thinking glassing during prime time and sitting water mid-day for my plan (first time  hunting early archery), and think the ghillie will allow more flexibility. (Stock pic of the APC Sapper coat I already have).

3FF2A85F-25A8-48E3-A472-A1E8391028EA.jpeg

I’m a full believer in a ground blind.   Yes hot in the early season however it Contains movement and scent.  I also always shoot through the netting in the windows.  

Brian

• Like 2

I say the blind too.  What I do if weight is a concern is just get some camo netting or burlap blind material and keep a good length of that and some para cord and you can throw up a makeshift blind in about 2 seconds.

It’s easy to just sit still and they’ll often walk right up close, but the minute you try to move to draw they get ya, ghillie suit or tshirt doesnt matter their eyes are designed to pick out the motion.  Which ever way you go, don’t move if you can see his eyeball.  Wait til he looks the other way and you can see the back of his head.

Last year I killed a little button buck here in Az while wearing blue jeans and a tshirt with an American flag on it.  I was in a tree saddle above his line of sight so neither him or the two does with him saw a thing until it was too late.  
Then in November I hunted in Nebraska and shot a whitetail doe on the ground from a range of about 10-12 feet.  Stood between two cedars on a fenceline.  She was supposed to walk past me and give me a quartering away shot but instead she stopped dead in front of me and looked right at me.  I stayed still like a statue, she eventually took another step forward and looked the other way scent checking the cornfield.  As soon as she turned her head I drew back and heart shot her.  Good times! 

• Like 2

Ground blind.   You can get away with a lot more.  A ghillie suit could snag your bow string.