WHALE

Pronghorn and Water

Getting ready for another archery hunt to start. The last time I never sat water but thinking of trying it this time with the dryer hotter conditions. My question for guys that have killed em on water or are in the know what time of day or stretch of day is usually best first 4 hours, last four hours or midday?

tia

don't think I am tough enough to sit blind all day🤔

I can chase em all day but sitting in a scorching blind :( 

We'll see thanks for the info

They will come in whenever they get thirsty, which can be any time during the rut when they are running off other bucks and chasing does. The problem with sitting a few hours is that very often those goats will be within sight but not within range. So getting in and out of the blind without spooking them can be challenging. But sitting water is by far the most successful strategy for archery goats.

• Like 3

I've had luck 11am to 3pm, seem to be the best time for water. Also depends on how much there pushed. But they water at least once a day.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Arizona Griz said:

I have had them come in anytime between sun up and sun down. I have got pictures this year where they watered during the middle of the night.

Seriously in the middle of the night?  Wow I have never seen that. That's really interesting.   Thanks for sharing that one.  

Can be any time, but also can usually pattern them. My hunt I was able to pattern a couple bucks using the same water hole between 11-1 most days so that’s when I sat and tried spot n stalk the rest of the day. Ended up killing mine on that water hole around noon. 

• Like 3

They will come in anytime,take a ice chest,a towel,and its not that bad.The last buck I killed on a water,scored 85 2/8,shot at 9:30.It comes down to how bad do you want it?

• Like 2

Crazy I didn't they could see good at night, all the ones I've bedded in the evening were in the same spot before sun up, start moving twilight.

• Like 1

I shot one off of water.   I sat all day for quite a few days.    Start you day with as many ice bottles (frozen gatorade, water, ect)as you can carry or get to the blind.   Might even want to bring a YETI style cooler and put it in the blind.   Bring a towel and dunk it in the cooler or find a way to put the ice bottles on you to keep you cool.    Bring way more fluids than you think you might need.    I think anytime after about noon will be your best time to sit but I would spend as much time as you can take in the blind.  

Personally that was a really tough hunt for me and the next time I hunt goats I will be using a very large caliber gun.....I don't care if it is a monster or not........I just want revenge!!!!!!!!

On 8/6/2020 at 7:56 PM, wildwoody said:

Crazy I didn't they could see good at night, all the ones I've bedded in the evening were in the same spot before sun up, start moving twilight.

I have an antelope hunt this year so I have cameras out right now.  Two of the Three cameras consistently get antelope pics between 10:30 pm and 3:00 am.  This kind of surprised me too because I have always heard to put antelope to bed and they will be within a couple hundred yards when the sun comes back up next morning.  All the pictures are bucks and no does.

• Like 1