Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Knife Recommendations

Hi everyone! So I am going through the list one item after another on what to get this fall and next up is a solid hunting knife that can help skin, and quarter is ease! Any recommendations? I found a damascus steel knife that apparently is really good and I will add a picture of what it is! I looked into the Randy Newberg knife from Gerber that has the replacement blades which is an option. But if I can find one of those "long lasting" almost lifetime knives that would be great too! Because there is no guarantee that 10 years from now i can find replacement blades for the Gerber knife. Any thoughts? Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Couescrazy33 said:

Cutco drop point with the serrated blade has been awesome. 4 deer later and its still sharp as heck.

I have one he can have for free. I would recommend an Outdoor Edge.

• Like 2

Cheap paring knives are the go-to knife for many skinners. THey hold a decent edge and are lightweight and wont make you cry if you lose one. victorinox are excellent.

Also, look into a morakniv companion. They are excellent as well and are more suited to quartering/breaking down etc. you will be hard pressed to ruin one.

Absolutely no reason to spend big bucks on a skinner unless you just really want to.

Like many on here I DO have some very expensive knives but I hardly ever use them other than when the inlaws are around....lol

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

This is what I was looking at for 115$ Damascus steel, 8.5 inch blade made for skinning!

Screenshot_20200813-170349_Samsung Internet.jpg

That's a beutiful knife.  

My vote would be for one stout fixed blade knife. Does not need to be pricey, just a cheap sturdy knife to help break a knuckle joint.  Second knife would be a replaceable blade knife. Caution on those though, they are razor sharp. I have cut proof cloth gloves I wear when using these.  DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT use replaceable blade knives unless you wear cut gloves and be careful of your pull in direction.  A guy on here last year got himself real good in the knee and was fortunate. He ended up getting kind of rescued but it could have been way worse.   

The thin havelon break easy, I'd go with a thicker one.  We got a couple outdoor edge and Berbers I like.  Don't xxxx around man. Cut resistant gloves, only like $10

• Like 2

I am not a fan of replacement blades. Extra things to worry about.  Replacing blades, putting used blades somewhere safe, having to handle spare blades in the middle of the woods.  

I prefer a a fixed blade that holds a great edge.  Like the handle to have some texture so if it gets a little messy, it's not trying to slide out of my hand.

Victorinox fibrox are inexpensive and hold an edge longer than most. 

• Like 2

A Buck 110 and a Forschner/Victorinox 6 inch semi flex curved boning knife and a good sharpener is all you will ever need.

12 minutes ago, northAZarcher said:

I am not a fan of replacement blades. Extra things to worry about.  Replacing blades, putting used blades somewhere safe, having to handle spare blades in the middle of the woods.  

I prefer a a fixed blade that holds a great edge.  Like the handle to have some texture so if it gets a little messy, it's not trying to slide out of my hand.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing! I want one that I can make last a lifetime. Like buying blades for that EXACT knife even 10 years from now would be probably impossible!

5 minutes ago, Heat said:

A Buck 110 and a Forschner/Victorinox 6 inch semi flex curved boning knife and a good sharpener is all you will ever need.

Any sharpeners you would recommend? I only killed 1 deer and used 3 dull knifes and a hatchet and I was still barley able to skin and quarter it

20 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

That's a beutiful knife.  

My vote would be for one stout fixed blade knife. Does not need to be pricey, just a cheap sturdy knife to help break a knuckle joint.  Second knife would be a replaceable blade knife. Caution on those though, they are razor sharp. I have cut proof cloth gloves I wear when using these.  DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT use replaceable blade knives unless you wear cut gloves and be careful of your pull in direction.  A guy on here last year got himself real good in the knee and was fortunate. He ended up getting kind of rescued but it could have been way worse.   

The thin havelon break easy, I'd go with a thicker one.  We got a couple outdoor edge and Berbers I like.  Don't xxxx around man. Cut resistant gloves, only like $10

Sounds good. I will add those cut resisting gloves to the list. I find myself not paying attention or making dumb mistakes a lot