Been hitting the desert working trail cameras in several different locations and I cannot believe how many quail I’ve seen. Some waterholes have 50-100 birds and one had to of had 200. They are every where. I’ve even seen some in areas where the closest water hole is a couple miles away. Looks like it’s going to be a fun season. 

• Like 6

Yup, sort of like clockwork.   We generally had good precipitation last winter/spring, and historically that is THE major driver for Gambel's.   I haven't been out to my favorite desert quail spots for several months, so I'm glad to hear it's panning out. ;)  We are SO blessed here in AZ with four months of continuous quail hunting, starting next month!

Can't wait for the season to open!!

• Like 2

Cant wait for the season to start, going to try my hand at mearns this year hopefully i can put a few in the bag. I went for one day last year and failed to connect, missed 2 birds and couldn't get my safety off when another jumped up from underneath my feet...that was a circus 🤣

• Like 2

Per Big Tub's comments, Mearns could be tough this year.  They rely greatly on the monsoon summer rain.  Either way, there are always some opportunities out there! ;)

Can't wait!

• Like 1

Bacon wrapped with hatch green chiles on the Traeger... my favorite game to eat.  Numbers around our place are off the charts this year, my heeler may beat me to the season opener, as many as he runs out of the back yard each day.  Last year was so bad I hunted one day and put the shotgun up for the season.  No big game tags this year, so I am itching to break a sweat for a change. 

• Like 3

I was out and about this weekend and saw hundreds of birds in the desert. Some of them are 2-3 miles from the closest water holes. Can't wait for the opener. 

• Like 3

It’s still freaking hot! This is almost the middle of October and I’m sweating in the shade!

Da*m those  farting cows!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NOTAGS said:

It’s still freaking hot! This is almost the middle of October and I’m sweating in the shade!

Da*m those  farting cows!

Weather is unheard of! Is this the driest hottest year on record? I don’t know but it seems like it is.

• Like 1