Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ringer

Tundra oil change.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Ringer said:

He added all the oil. There wasn't a drop on the dipstick when he looked at it.

I understand but if you truck takes 7qts. If you fill it with 5qts it off the stick. But not empty. 

I deal with internal engine failures for a living. You would not drive 4 miles with zero oil. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you heard a whirring noise, that was probably the bearings trying to sieze. Not good at all. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was empty you would have heard the rocker arms clacking away. Drain a little after a few hundred miles and send it off to Blackstone for a UOA.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rhinoaz said:

If you heard a whirring noise, that was probably the bearings trying to sieze. Not good at all. 

Not necessarily. I have lots of customers that hear noises or look at their oil gauge after a service. They haven’t paid a dam bit of attention to it for 6-12 months! But the first day-week they get it back from service...... they hear a “new” sound or problem and it’s the shops fault. Also people purposely leave out really bad stuff there vehicle does when coming in for a simple service. Only to try to blame the shop or tech for it after and get free stuff. Not saying this is what the op is doing at all!! Just saying it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, they have been the only people to ever change my oil and every 5000 miles with synthetic. I just checked and it is full of oil so they didn't leave the drain plug out. It is probably fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Not necessarily. I have lots of customers that hear noises or look at their oil gauge after a service. They haven’t paid a dam bit of attention to it for 6-12 months! But the first day-week they get it back from service...... they hear a “new” sound or problem and it’s the shops fault. Also people purposely leave out really bad stuff there vehicle does when coming in for a simple service. Only to try to blame the shop or tech for it after and get free stuff. Not saying this is what the op is doing at all!! Just saying it happens.

“Ever since you changed my windshield wipers the A/C doesn’t work” 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

If it was empty you would have heard the rocker arms clacking away. Drain a little after a few hundred miles and send it off to Blackstone for a UOA.

 

I agree with Blackstone.  Inexpensive, and they will give you a written opinion off their analysis of the oil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gmcbob said:

I agree with Blackstone.  Inexpensive, and they will give you a written opinion off their analysis of the oil. 

The cat dealer does them local for $18

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trphyhntr said:

“Ever since you changed my windshield wipers the A/C doesn’t work” 

100% yes!!!! “You changed my oil 6 months ago now my engine light is on, hmmmm you must of done something wrong” and the Lilly lipped advisors bring it back as a recheck!! FML!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Back when I had my Tacoma I had a lot of issues of noticing them not changing the oil filter , paying for an air filter and they didn’t do it and that’s what made me work on all my own vehicles if I don’t know how to do it I YouTube it and figure it out I do not trust shops at all warranty or not 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I understand but if you truck takes 7qts. If you fill it with 5qts it off the stick. But not empty. 

I deal with internal engine failures for a living. You would not drive 4 miles with zero oil. 

Plus the time they let it run at the dealer after changing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make them pull the pan and check rod bearings at a minimum 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Rumhunter84 said:

Wow. Back when I had my Tacoma I had a lot of issues of noticing them not changing the oil filter , paying for an air filter and they didn’t do it and that’s what made me work on all my own vehicles if I don’t know how to do it I YouTube it and figure it out I do not trust shops at all warranty or not 

I’m sorry you haven’t had good experiences with shops. I also do all my own services and repairs but, I work at a shop! If you ever feel the need to search for an honest shop then please do so. We’re like sex workers, people are scared to use us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×