Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Dec Elk - need a jacket

I’m looking for an awesome, warm, durable hunting jacket. Expect to be moving in the teens. Anyone have suggestions?

Was in the Sitka site. Good stuff I guess but- dang. Fanatic looked ok.

Puffy jackets are legit. Super warm and packable. But almost too warm for most AZ hunts.

• Like 2

100% go with a puffy jacket.  Much warmer and lighter!!!!  I have several, but my primary for super cold is the under armour super down.

Puffy under a softshell is usually my go to.  I love my puffy's, but you have to be careful with them if you are around ANYTHING that will snag them.  They are fantastic for sitting and glassing but heck if you start moving.  For moving, I like the Kuiu guide jacket or the sitka coldfront.  The coldfront will handle anything you throw at it and proved it's worth to me on an Alaska caribou hunt last year.  The temps ranged from 40*--- -15ish and it performed great with proper layering.  The key to late season comfort in my opinion is layering up properly so you can adapt quickly to moving or sitting.

I got to say that incinerator jacket looks pretty tight

21 hours ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I have the Kelvin down hoody. I have sat out and glassed at -9 deg and it was warm. 

That packability is a huge bonus. 

SKRE gear is well worth a look. I used their puffy for an insulation layer on my December elk hunt and it was perfect. Its also been on several Dec/Jan archery hunts. 

I have their Hardscrable pants/jacket/vest and 300 gram Kaibab wool hoody if you want to look at the quality of their gear.

https://www.skregear.com/product/kaibab-core-hoodie/

On 9/13/2020 at 10:31 AM, thegunsmith2506 said:

I have the Kelvin down hoody. I have sat out and glassed at -9 deg and it was warm. 

I saw the kelvin light hoodie at Sportsmens today is that the one you have? Or is there another version?

On 9/17/2020 at 9:12 AM, 452b264 said:

SKRE gear is well worth a look. I used their puffy for an insulation layer on my December elk hunt and it was perfect. Its also been on several Dec/Jan archery hunts. 

I have their Hardscrable pants/jacket/vest and 300 gram Kaibab wool hoody if you want to look at the quality of their gear.

https://www.skregear.com/product/kaibab-core-hoodie/

Not real familiar with this company.  I like that they offer bundle packages to save some money.  Do they do a once a year blowout sale like badlands does?

They have several sales during the year. They make quality gear. Get yourself on their mailing list.

• Like 1

It's settled.

Went to Cabelas to check out their Sitka- found something I'm seriously happy with: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-mt050-whitetail-extreme-gore-tex-parka-for-men

For $300 I thought it was an awesome deal. I might get a fluffy later, but I think this will do the trick for late season Flag. 

Picked up the wife a C4 She Gear Jacket as well. She loves it. For the price of both, it's just slightly more than the Sitka Kelvin. 

Thanks for the links!