Sign in to follow this  

anyone see this

I saw that this morning pretty sad stuff., good thing there were lots of people around and a cop to boot. Only bright side of that vid that caught my attention was the guy who asked the officer if he could step over behind him. That guy who ever he was earned my instant respect. he ended up turning the stereo off but didnt want to freak the cop out bumping him.

Saw it happened were I worked back in the early 80's , poor dude got his arm caught in a machine, it sucked his arm right out of the socket. Not a pretty sight.

That's pretty gnarly. Interesting that nobody there was protesting the police involvement when they needed help. That office had one cool head.

• Like 1

Was on the news last night. A moment's mistake nearly cost her her life. Very fortunate her mistake was near so many real people. Still took 26 min. for emergency medical to arrive and the call was placed by the officer an instant after the incident.

For some of you on here I'll raise the questions; If she had had a child in the vehicle, would that have been child endangerment or potentially manslaughter? Was her speed excessive? Was she endangering others?

Truly my thoughts and prayers are for her return to good health. I'll let the legal representatives gather the facts and pursue any deemed necessary actions. If I feel that is injust, then I'll present my facts to fight any injustice and/or try to change the law.

I honestly believe we should always focus on sincere empathy and kindness for all involved and thank whatever greater powers we believe in that it's not us in that situation, just as previous posters have expressed.

I saw it.  They blurred out the arm like they would someone’s private parts.  I guess arms are offensive.  I can understand blurring out the faces to protect identities, but how is an arm offensive?  We keep getting weaker and weaker and more and more easily offended.

ATVs have caused a few serious accidents. It's been quite a while since my co-author of HOW TO HUNT COUES DEER, Duwane Adams, told me the tale of his accident that nearly killed him. From what he told me, it sounded like his face was about like Bill the Roofer's after his encounter with a forklift. If I recall, Duwane was in the backcountry and needed to be airlifted out by a chopper.

The dude we bought our family suburban from was an insurance something or other. Was telling us people mangle their arms and hands all the time in those things.  I told my family if we roll one either try for dear life to hold on to something or lock tour hands together befind your head and protect your head and keep your arms from flying around. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

The dude we bought our family suburban from was an insurance something or other. Was telling us people mangle their arms and hands all the time in those things.  I told my family if we roll one either try for dear life to hold on to something or lock tour hands together befind your head and protect your head and keep your arms from flying around. 

Duwane rolled his on a sidehill and the ATV somehow rolled over him, crushing his face/head. 

1 minute ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Duwane rolled his on a sidehill and the ATV somehow rolled over him, crushing his face/head. 

dang, I've heard lots of Duwane stories,  never that one.   Most the time he was just messing with poor Butch for laughs. 

14 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

dang, I've heard lots of Duwane stories,  never that one.   Most the time he was just messing with poor Butch for laughs. 

I think it was at least 20 years ago. If you ever see him again, ask him about it. 

Just now, Outdoor Writer said:

I think it was at least 20 years ago. If you ever see him again, ask him about it. 

Called him a couple days ago. Im not allowed to join them up north due to covid.  Guides and clients only.  

Good friend of mine rolled one up north trying to avoid cattle on the road. he was messed up for quite a while it almost killed him. luckly he was consius enough for a bit to make a cell phone call.

Ive rolled a bunch of vehicles used to Race 4x4 at the old ORV tracks backing in the 80s when it was popular. broncos jeeps and Honda odyssey's, rolled a couple just 4x4ing too. always wore a 5 point racing harness and never let go of the wheel while spinning. one year oldest Daughter and I were up in kaibab scouting. rolled my 6 wheeler. she was strapped in as was I, but dang I thought I killed her. no cel service either. She hit her head pretty good on the roll bar.

i met Amy and family about 6 hours before her accident while at work.  they were planting flowers that day and i never got to see them again.

https://

This is, after all, the same person once controversially spit in the lane of an Olympic swimming rival and accused her of doping, willing to pick a fight she had no way to win without drug-testing evidence. Van Dyken-Rouen was the first American woman to win four Olympic gold medals, at Atlanta in 1996, and despite shoulder surgeries added two more golds at Sydney in 2000.

"This is the toughest competition I've ever had, but it's completely different (from swimming)," the 41-year-old said. "I will say the fact I am an athlete and have been training really hard has helped me in this recovery process." Even the surgical scar on her back is healing faster than normal, she said, joking that it "looks pretty good for a scar."

Van Dyken-Rouen has no memory of her accident, which occurred after dinner at the Torreon Golf Club in Show Low. She went over a curb on the ATV and down a 5- to 7-foot drop-off, according to a police report. Her husband rushed to her side and found she was not breathing, until he turned her over.

"I'm glad she doesn't remember," Tom Rouen said. "Some day I'll talk about it, but not today. It kept me awake for the first five nights" after the accident.

"He's the strongest person I've ever met," said Van Dyken-Rouen, who was accompanied to Denver by her mother and sister; Tom was driving north with their dog. "I will do anything for him and if living is one of those things he wants me to do, you've got it, man."

A native of Colorado who swam in college at Arizona and Colorado State, Van Dyken-Rouen will undergo rehabilitation at Craig Hospital. The Rouens plan to return to their home in Scottsdale at some point, and perhaps talk more family members into moving to Arizona.

/healthy-living/amy-van-dyken-rouen-spinal-cord-injury-story

I had two different co-workers lose teenage children in ATV accidents within a few weeks of each other this Summer. I cannot imagine the pain of that. Life is fragile, do not ever take it for granted. 

• Sad 1