Non-Typical Solutions

G$F Fines

I have a young friend who has had little to no exposure to hunting. He went out dove hunting with a buddy without a hunting license and got rung up by a G$F officer!

Anybody know what that process might look like for this young kid? What is the fee gonna be, what is the process gonna look like?

I'll get more details as soon as I can, he called me looking for advice and I just told him to pay up and move forward and next time get a dam license!!!

When i was in high school they did hit my buddy with the same thing and absolutely threw the book at him. Coupoe thousand in fines, probabation, loss of hunting privileges for 5 years, etc. 

5 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

When i was in high school they did hit my buddy with the same thing and absolutely threw the book at him. Coupoe thousand in fines, probabation, loss of hunting privileges for 5 years, etc. 

Oh heal.......I hope things have changed a bit since then..........I got rung up myself when I was 14 in New Mexico.......I was driving my dads truck on his farm, shooting dove with a 22, no license, out of season. We lived out in the middle of nowhere and I didn't even know there was such a thing as a G$F law officer :) cost me $90 per bird and I had two in possession!

Guy didn't even ask me if I had a drivers license..................

17 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Oh heal.......I hope things have changed a bit since then..........I got rung up myself when I was 14 in New Mexico.......I was driving my dads truck on his farm, shooting dove with a 22, no license, out of season. We lived out in the middle of nowhere and I didn't even know there was such a thing as a G$F law officer :) cost me $90 per bird and I had two in possession!

Guy didn't even ask me if I had a drivers license..................

The G&F must have been having a bad day. He was out between QC and Florence in a farm field doing some target shooting. A dove landed on the railroad tie that he had his target on and he shot it. G&F had been watching. They got him for EVERYTHING. Hunting out of season, hunting without a license, illegal method of take, wanton waste of game meat, trespassing, littering (brass), destruction of private property (railroad tie). 

• Wow! 1

17 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

The G&F must have been having a bad day. He was out between QC and Florence in a farm field doing some target shooting. A dove landed on the railroad tie that he had his target on and he shot it. G&F had been watching. They got him for EVERYTHING. Hunting out of season, hunting without a license, illegal method of take, wanton waste of game meat, trespassing, littering (brass), destruction of private property (railroad tie). 

Holy hanna......what a powerful big man.......I think my young buddy was probably exactly in that same stretch of country.....

4 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I have a young friend who has had little to no exposure to hunting. He went out dove hunting with a buddy without a hunting license and got rung up by a G$F officer!

Anybody know what that process might look like for this young kid? What is the fee gonna be, what is the process gonna look like?

I'll get more details as soon as I can, he called me looking for advice and I just told him to pay up and move forward and next time get a dam license!!!

It will likely depend on what he was actually charged with. If hunting without a license is the sole charge, it might not be that bad.  If there were additional charges like illegal take of game, possession of illegal game, etc. etc. tacked on, it could get a lot worse, depending on how many doves he had actually killed. Is he a minor?

• Like 1

I am guessing his buddy had a license etc. I believe they fine you $50 a bird but they tend to not have any leniency when it comes to the other charges and he just may loose his privileges to hunt and fish for 3-5 years.

I recommend him pleading guilty and asking for mercy.  It can’t turn into something against the officer making him a victim as bad as we want that to be.  If he does that, the judge, if he is an old timer, will cut him some slack.  It seems like more often than not, the kid is always misunderstood and is a good boy and the system failed him/her.  They seem to be too coddled.  Back to the judge being an old timer.  He will remember when things were different and if the kid fuked up, the parents will help him accept responsibility rather than protect him.  Kind of like when we would get swats/paddled by the principal and the parents wouldn’t call the 6 o’clock news, they would instead work on our behavior and decision making process.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

I recommend him pleading guilty and asking for mercy.  It can’t turn into something against the officer making him a victim as bad as we want that to be.  If he does that, the judge, if he is an old timer, will cut him some slack.  It seems like more often than not, the kid is always misunderstood and is a good boy and the system failed him/her.  They seem to be too coddled.  Back to the judge being an old timer.  He will remember when things were different and if the kid fuked up, the parents will help him accept responsibility rather than protect him.  Kind of like when we would get swats/paddled by the principal and the parents wouldn’t call the 6 o’clock news, they would instead work on our behavior and decision making process.

^^^^ This is his best shot.

Handwriting letters to the citing officer, prosecutor and judge admitting guilt and remorse could help him keep his hunting & fishing privileges.  Courts generally don't cut much slack on the $$$$ end. 

2 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

It will likely depend on what he was actually charged with. If hunting without a license is the sole charge, it might not be that bad.  If there were additional charges like illegal take of game, possession of illegal game, etc. etc. tacked on, it could get a lot worse, dending on how many doves he had actually killed. Is he a minor?

He is 18.....is that a minor these days.....I can't keep track anymore!!!!

1 minute ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

He is 18.....is that a minor these days.....I can't keep track anymore!!!!

No. Under the definitions the AGFD uses, he's an adult. He could try, but it would probably be difficult for him to claim, "I didn't think I needed a license." 

So were there any other charges?? 

3 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

He is screwed ! His license will be revoked just like any other poacher out there . They could care less if he had “little to no exposure to hunting”!   He broke the law and now he will be held accountable for his actions . 

4 minutes ago, NoBull350 said:

He is screwed ! His license will be revoked just like any other poacher out there . They could care less if he had “little to no exposure to hunting”!   He broke the law and now he will be held accountable for his actions . 

Normally I’d say shut up, go away idiot etc.... but in this case you’re the true expert for a change....so go ahead

• Like 1
  • Haha 7