Elkhunter1

Trail camera rule changes!

WRONG.  You will soon see just how easy it will be.  

How do they enforce all those other laws?  How do they prove who's bait it is?  

As a civilized society, MOST follow the laws.  Sure, there will be guys that won't, but the vast majority will.  Those who continue to not follow them will eventually get caught.  It might be years down the road, but eventually they will be caught.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

With this trail camera ban would I be allowed to put a camera in a mule deer area I know from let's say Febuary through July? The area does not have an early OTC archery season, and the first season is I believe a youth hunt in Mid October. So if I take my camera down early enough (July) would that count as "aiding in taking game" 

I just wanna watch antler growth

16 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

With this trail camera ban would I be allowed to put a camera in a mule deer area I know from let's say Febuary through July? The area does not have an early OTC archery season, and the first season is I believe a youth hunt in Mid October. So if I take my camera down early enough (July) would that count as "aiding in taking game" 

I just wanna watch antler growth

No ban yet, but wait for the Libs they'll do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

WRONG.  You will soon see just how easy it will be.  

How do they enforce all those other laws?  How do they prove who's bait it is?  

As a civilized society, MOST follow the laws.  Sure, there will be guys that won't, but the vast majority will.  Those who continue to not follow them will eventually get caught.  It might be years down the road, but eventually they will be caught.   

This is one law that will be very hard to enforce. Baiting is illegal whether you're a hunter or not. Cameras will not be illegal, just illegal to use in the aid of taking game. So if my cameras are out in a unit that I do not intend to hunt, but intend to watch antler growth, which is what I love most about cameras, I will be legal. How can anyone prove that I am using that camera to aid in taking game. Even if I do intend to hunt the area, how can you ever prove that a camera helped a hunter take a particular animal. It's obvious that you are pro-ban, which is fine, but your multiple haughty responses on the subject are getting old. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, creed_az_88 said:

This is one law that will be very hard to enforce. Baiting is illegal whether you're a hunter or not. Cameras will not be illegal, just illegal to use in the aid of taking game. So if my cameras are out in a unit that I do not intend to hunt, but intend to watch antler growth, which is what I love most about cameras, I will be legal. How can anyone prove that I am using that camera to aid in taking game. Even if I do intend to hunt the area, how can you ever prove that a camera helped a hunter take a particular animal. It's obvious that you are pro-ban, which is fine, but your multiple haughty responses on the subject are getting old. 

Actually baiting isn't illegal unless you live in a county that has a ban on feeding wildlife.  If you want to go pour a 100 lbs of corn on the ground and feed wildlife it is perfectly legal just don't attempt to take big game off your bait pile.  The rules on cameras will be very similar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

They let people use airbows for “archery” hunts and they want to ban cams. 

butt backwards 

I thought airbows were banned here?  Are they really still legal?  

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

They let people use airbows for “archery” hunts and they want to ban cams. 

butt backwards 

ONLY those who can legally obtain a CHAMP crossbow permit for use during an "archery" season can use an airbow. All others are limited to using airbows during the general firearms season only.  Except for CHAMP holders, airbows are also illegal for use during a HAM season for javelina. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

ONLY those who can legally obtain a CHAMP crossbow permit for use during an "archery" season can use an airbow. All others are limited to using airbows during the general firearms season only.  Except for CHAMP holders, airbows are also illegal for use during a HAM season for javelina. 

Yep. Too easy to obtain. If a guy is not archery hunting he shouldn’t be on the archery hunt imo.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

I thought airbows were banned here?  Are they really still legal?  

Idk man I just saw that other thread with the elk that said archery elk and then in the story it said airbow 

• Like 1

Thread is derailed now. Going back, I’m just saying if it’s success rates they’re worried about like someone above mentioned, we got guys using airbows and crossbows on the archery hunts. 

10 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Yep. Too easy to obtain. If a guy is not archery hunting he shouldn’t be on the archery hunt imo.

So enlighten everyone; just how many CHAMP hunters are there, and how many of them draw archery elk permits each year & use airbows?

8 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

So enlighten everyone; just how many CHAMP hunters are there, and how many of them draw archery elk permits each year & use airbows?

Actually there is more than you think. at least more than I thought forsure.

we ran into at least half a dozen one year in unit 8 during a early archery elk season. 3 of those guys we talk to. 2 guys were partnered both guys had doctor excuess, got drawn for archery then both had arm injuries and a note from doc which they got crossbow permits. both were in there late 60's. then a week later ran into another guy he had a wrap around his wrist got docs excuess. he was about 30. funny part he was splitting wood with an axe when we stumbled onto his camp.

from what I understand if you injure yourself and the doc gives you an excuess you turn it into game and fish and in most cases they will give you a champ tag for your archery tag. Know a few guys on some boards that did the same thing years ago. a few were legit most were exagerated

22 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Is there a way to get info on how many champ hunters get tags?