Sign in to follow this  
creed

water catchment 603

Been sick with Covid and left a ground blind up on 603 in the Belmonts. Went out today to pick it up and some sob needed it worse than I did. There are trail cameras on the drinker that would have been able to see who got it. Anyone here  has a camera there and sees someone other than a guy in a grey dodge taking down a ground blind I would sure like to see who it is

That's where I wanted to spend my last week hunting but life got in the way. Hope you find the bastards.

Not starting an argument and total BS and I sympathize with you, but am curious what the law actually is. From my understanding, anything left overnight or unmanned on public land is considered abandon and can be taken?  Can it legally be taken by anyone or only by a fed employee?  Sorry, not familiar with the Belmonts, assuming nat forrest or trust land.  Again total crap and I'd be upset too but I'm assuming no real legal recourse given this, from what I understand. 

It's BLM. I don't know and don't care what the law is.  I couldn't prove ownership. It's no big deal to remove  a tag or mark over my name. I didn't plan on leaving it out there. I got sick enough the last day I hunted it I didn't think I would make it home from hunting. My boss offered to pick it up but I told him I would take care of it. Should have let him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jdown said:

Not starting an argument and total BS and I sympathize with you, but am curious what the law actually is. From my understanding, anything left overnight or unmanned on public land is considered abandon and can be taken?  Can it legally be taken by anyone or only by a fed employee?  Sorry, not familiar with the Belmonts, assuming nat forrest or trust land.  Again total crap and I'd be upset too but I'm assuming no real legal recourse given this, from what I understand. 

this go for vehicles too?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AZLance said:

this go for vehicles too?

I would assume anything titled would have an ownership record. And again, just curious if anyone knows the actual law is. I just know what I've been told.  Didn't mean to hijack this thread by any means, just piqued my interest when I read it. 

Problem is the myth of seizing property after being left in the field takes on a life of its own and thieves use it as rationalization and justification to steal someone else’s property.  Individuals are not empowered to take other people’s property. 

There is no way this is law and even if it was, the only agency that could be out there seizing property would be the county sheriffs.  I’ve never seen a sheriff or any law enforcement officers with someone’s campsite, blind or cameras in the bed of their truck.  They would have to leave a notice documenting what was taken if they did  

Thieves are out there stealing with no legal justification. Nothing else to say about it. 

• Like 4

Another possibility is the wind out of this last storm uprooted it and blew it away. I looked the area over but didn't see it. If someone picked up a blind blown out into the desert that is completely different than breaking it down and putting it in the back of their truck.

How do you know it's abandoned when you take it?   For reference - Forest Service law is 72 hours. Not overnight.  And I know this isn't forest service land but in the case of forest service land you'd have to sit on a piece of "abandoned" property for 72 hours straight to be able to even prove it was abandoned. The owner could visit it at any time and the clock would restart.  Were you there at 2:01 AM when the owner may have been? Better re start the clock then.  

All of these people that misquote abandoned property laws are the worst. I apologize if it seems like this is all directed at you. Just addressing the problem as a whole but a lot of people seem to have this mindset..  and it's very common to see people "justify" stealing on the internet by saying it's abandoned property when they don't even know what that means.

If I leave my tent up for 3 nights would you consider taking it?

What the heck is wrong with people. If it's not yours don't take it 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ForkHorn said:

How do you know it's abandoned when you take it?   For reference - Forest Service law is 72 hours. Not overnight.  And I know this isn't forest service land but in the case of forest service land you'd have to sit on a piece of "abandoned" property for 72 hours straight to be able to even prove it was abandoned. The owner could visit it at any time and the clock would restart.  Were you there at 2:01 AM when the owner may have been? Better re start the clock then.  

All of these people that misquote abandoned property laws are the worst. I apologize if it seems like this is all directed at you. Just addressing the problem as a whole but a lot of people seem to have this mindset..  and it's very common to see people "justify" stealing on the internet by saying it's abandoned property when they don't even know what that means.

What the heck is wrong with people. If it's not yours don't take it 

Totally agree and I'm not trying to justify anything so no offense taken, I seriously wanted to know what the rule or law literally was and if it really existed or just urban legend. Thiefs are thiefs and the law really doesn't matter to the shat heads either way, but again just curious what the actual law was. I've heard over night, I've heard 24 hours and now that you say that, I have heard 72 hours. I appreciate it and OP sorry some azzwipe took your blind. I've lost a camera or two, had my trailer broken in one either day 1 or day 2 (we were back day 3) and took about 3K worth of stuff, but have not had a blind stolen yet, but generally don't leave them on water so I guess just been lucky. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ForkHorn said:

It depends, What kinda Tent and what comes with it, ie poles stove floor ;)

• Haha 1