Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Infrared ???

I was recently listening to an outfitter talk about the potential trail cam ban and he mentioned that other guides and outfitters are using infrared to locate deer at night and get on them at first light?

Am I the only one who finds this deplorable? Is this considered acceptable to the majority of hunters, another “right” that shouldn’t be widdled away?

I am hoping this is a one off and that most hunters would take no pleasure in engaging. But I suspect this may be why guides camp out on animals day and night, sometimes for weeks. That would make a lot more sense if they were “night glassing” and keeping tabs 24 hours.

At what point is enough enough?

• Like 4

AGREE This is a problem and going to get worse when cameras get banned or seasons are set. Outfitters, and maybe a couple DIY hunters, will do everthing possible to look good on social media and don’t care about overall hunting experience for anyone.  Spotlighting and Radios is another issue during seasons IMO. 

4 hours ago, Flatlander said:

I was recently listening to an outfitter talk about the potential trail cam ban and he mentioned that other guides and outfitters are using infrared to locate deer at night and get on them at first light?

Am I the only one who finds this deplorable? Is this considered acceptable to the majority of hunters, another “right” that shouldn’t be widdled away?

I am hoping this is a one off and that most hunters would take no pleasure in engaging. But I suspect this may be why guides camp out on animals day and night, sometimes for weeks. That would make a lot more sense if they were “night glassing” and keeping tabs 24 hours.

At what point is enough enough?

Ya, it is also quite common for outfitters (and 'average Joe's') to go out spotlighting the night before a hunt, for the same purpose.  I don't even think that is illegal as long as you don't have a weapon with you, and maybe even with a weapon as long as you don't use it.   I

nfrared or spotlight, either way, it seems sort of stinky to me....

I have seen the spotlighting efforts before, and didn’t really care much as it’s a point in time observation. But using night vision to locate and monitor and animal through the night is probably even easier than glassing them up in the daylight.

I have been against the camera ban. But it’s getting ridiculous. Maybe the commissioners are right. 

It has happened for quite a while down south. Some of those border patrol agents have some neat and expensive gadgets to work with.   :) 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

My wife has one on her crossbow.....

Thats really funny, I was going to post the same thing but didnt want to insult anyone even as a joke ;)

14 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

It has happened for quite a while down south. Some of those border patrol agents have some neat and expensive gadgets to work with.   :) 

20210117_191111.jpg

• Like 5

Just hope they don’t figure out how to mount infrared on drones.

Thermo imaging binocs are better but they run about 4k-7 k for good ones and have up to 18x if I remember.

Unfortunately there not alowed to use in this stated for taking game even yotes. in texas and other states they are legal and used for pigs and yotes.

but depending on how the law is exactly written banning them in AZ for hunting if guides buy them and write them off on there taxs they can get in trouble for using them in the aid of taking game. if they dont write them off on tax's then there is NO PROOF they are used for the aid in taking game. same goes for cameras if they actually do ban them. the G&F dept would then have proof they used them for aiding in the taking of game.

7 minutes ago, Delw said:

Thats really funny, I was going to post the same thing but didnt want to insult anyone even as a joke ;)

Its all in good fun Del.

I still like you.

In a lets watch that train wreck kind of way....lol

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Delw said:

but depending on how the law is exactly written banning them in AZ for hunting if guides buy them and write them off on there taxs they can get in trouble for using them in the aid of taking game. if they dont write them off on tax's then there is NO PROOF they are used for the aid in taking game. same goes for cameras if they actually do ban them. the G&F dept would then have proof they used them for aiding in the taking of game.

Where do you come with theses absurd & inane "facts?"

I suppose next you'll tell us you know six guides who have been arrested for illegally taking game with items they wrote off. 

I knew the border patrol guys were using them. Guess I hadn’t thought about it going beyond that. But heck those BP guys are just like everyone else. Good eggs and bad eggs. Some of them operate well outside of game laws (or legal boundaries). 

I guess I need to think about how mainstream this stuff has become. 

• Like 1