MULEPACKHUNTER

18,000 new elk apps

Its good that more people are hunting. Unless you want it to go away in favor of the eco tourist, rock lickers taking photos and hugging the trees. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JSR said:

Its good that more people are hunting. Unless you want it to go away in favor of the eco tourist, rock lickers taking photos and hugging the trees. 

That is what California will bring in for us!

29 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

Have to believe that at least some of the 18,000 new applications is related to the flood of people that moved to AZ in 2020.  Probably some of those 18,000 were NR that did not put in in 2020 and then became R in 2020 and put in for 2021 draw.

I’m curious what percent “applied” vs buying points, and also curious how many are first time applicants. It is crazy to see how crowded areas are

3 minutes ago, Eli said:

I’m curious what percent “applied” vs buying points, and also curious how many are first time applicants. It is crazy to see how crowded areas are

Yes - would be interesting to see data regarding applied vs. buying points.  I suspect the majority of the 18,000 increase are new applicants resulting from a recent relocation.

California is a big one but think of Az like Austin texas,,all shitty weather states are seeing AZ turn liberal and they are coming here to live now that conservatives are getting outpaced.

took the mules out last week and ran into 10 or so hikers at different times and they were all great folks but everyone of them was from out of state. Non from Cali but all here for the weather and looking to move here. a few mentioned the change in political climate helping their decision. 

• Sad 1

How many put in that actually want to hunt?  Cant help but wonder how many commiefornians/peta-suppositories put in for the draw, only to not use the license if they do draw.... alternate way to "save the planet/animals" 

2 minutes ago, SonnyK said:

How many put in that actually want to hunt?  Cant help but wonder how many commiefornians/peta-suppositories put in for the draw, only to not use the license if they do draw.... alternate way to "save the planet/animals" 

That's interesting, I think it was meat-eater that covered a new bill coming up in Idaho maybe that would make it harder to do that??? Not sure how you would get around that?? I say mandatory hunter edd for the right to put in??? That would help some since the field day would be tough for a New Jersey cat lady

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

California is a big one but think of Az like Austin texas,,all shitty weather states are seeing AZ turn liberal and they are coming here to live now that conservatives are getting outpaced.

took the mules out last week and ran into 10 or so hikers at different times and they were all great folks but everyone of them was from out of state. Non from Cali but all here for the weather and looking to move here. a few mentioned the change in political climate helping their decision. 

Yes it's a battle between reasonable-minded folks relocating here to escape terrible policies and ignorant people coming  because of weather. and increasingly liberal politics.  I wish the people coming here for the weather/liberal politics would give LA some consideration!

2 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

Million Dollar question. 

Is Arizona over hunted?

will the department ever concede to this fact.

are gold coins king?

In my opinion yes AZ is over hunted on some species. For what resources I see its hard for me to believe otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

Million Dollar question. 

Is Arizona over hunted?

will the department ever concede to this fact.

are gold coins king?

Yes/No/Yes.  The almighty dollar is obviously the motivating factor for AZGFD.  Quality of the hunts, game management, etc. are all secondary concerns.

9 minutes ago, SonnyK said:

This is an interesting theory.  Usually these folks don't put their money where their mouth is.  They usually prefer to complain online and elect Dems.  Maybe they are getting smarter.  Making Hunter Ed mandatory (especially for new applicants) could help prevent this practice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TylerDurden said:

This is an interesting theory.  Usually these folks don't put their money where their mouth is.  They usually prefer to complain online and elect Dems.  Maybe they are getting smarter.  Making Hunter Ed mandatory (especially for new applicants) could help prevent this practice.

The Hunter Ed idea is not a bad one.  Double win of likely weeding-out any non-hunters, but also frankly just helping with the average yayhoo being a little more safe. ;)

Regarding folks not putting their money where their mouth is, I say a BIG +1 to that!!!   IMO it applies as much to those who vote for Republicans, too.  If you have ever gone to a G&F meeting or gotten involved in any of the local hunting/fishing organizations, the level of apathy and/or non-action by hunters in general is pretty clear.  Even when there is a so called hot topic (like trail cams, for instance), the % of hunters who actually show-up to a meeting to comment is extraordinarily low.  Complaining online (or nowhere at all) is what the large majority of hunters do. 🙄