loboscout

Trigger pull weight on long range hunting rifle?

I had a Canjar (sp) on my old 40xb in 300 winmag it was set for 4oz. when I was younger it wasnt bad as I grew older I started not liking it. Sugar effected my shooting as well as hiking up a mountain in the hot sun.

now all my triggers are factory I like that little creep if you will. I can feel the creep cause I know exactly when its going off. it helps when your shooting higher power scopes and can see your heartbeat pattern in the scope you know how to touch the trigger at the right time.

Thanks for the responses!

Man, I would love to get some video of shooting the variation of trigger weights mentioned here. Both of the shooter and the rifle. I am just super curious.

But, I especially want to get video through the scope to record in super slo mo with my phone through the phone skope adapter. I want to see the different trigger breaks.

Anyone want to contribute? I will set up steel out to 1000 yards again.

• Like 1

Honestly, when I have a loading or shooting question, Lance is usually the first person I ask or go to. The idea that he has his set so much higher than mine has me questioning my whole world! I know I personally have shot much more consistent at the very low weights, but now I'm wondering if I should play around with some of the higher weights just to test them out a bit more.

1 hour ago, rossislider said:

Honestly, when I have a loading or shooting question, Lance is usually the first person I ask or go to. The idea that he has his set so much higher than mine has me questioning my whole world! I know I personally have shot much more consistent at the very low weights, but now I'm wondering if I should play around with some of the higher weights just to test them out a bit more.

Lance knows his stuff for sure.

This thread has been enlightening. I like to learn and see.

My experience is that the act of shooting has many variables before the trigger press. As I learned and improved my fundamentals before the trigger press, I could turn my trigger up and not effect precision in a meaningful way--as I also learned to address the trigger and press it without disturbing the rifle. We all address the rifle differently and a light trigger --can-- hide errors in fundamentals. IMO, light triggers are a greater liability for error, so I run heavier to prevent a second ND. And, I haven't found the need/desire for a trigger under a pound once I got more practice in. I am NOT saying that people that run light triggers are weak or anything like that. It is not an either or. It just can go to explain why people differ on why they choose. One way isn't necessarily better than another.

Keep your light trigger, but I would tell everyone that learning the fundamentals, new techniques, and trigger control can have the end result that you can often turn up the weight without any negative consequences. 

I used to shoot my rifles like a "benchrest" style, where light triggers and as little influence as possible go together. But, I have learned to get more positive control over the rifle as I have gotten off the ground and into field positions, mostly on my tripod. That has forced me further away from a hair trigger as well. Like I think I said before, I got into a bad habit of slapping the trigger, which actually was worse than the slow press to break my "heavy trigger". The act of slapping, as small as it was moved the rifle.

• Like 1

4 savages here. I moved my accutriggers from my 110 rifles to two Axis rifles and have them near 2.5 lbs. To stay relative, I matched up the upgraded triggers on the 110s to 2lbs.

I like to get setup on the trigger before it goes boom. I feel comfortable where they're at. Good topic! 

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

id be too nervous having one in the ounces. 2.5lbs here. 

At 2oz you need to keep your booger flicker off the trigger until you are on the target.

7 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

At 2oz you need to keep your booger flicker off the trigger until you are on the target.

And in the heat of the moment, im better off with 2.5 

• Like 1

About as low as I go is a pound, prefer 1.5 pounds. Ounces can get sporty if you're not careful for a variety of reasons. And definitely don't lend your gun out with a 4 oz. trigger...😆

1 hour ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Some of ya'll need to man up and start pulling a mil-spec trigger.

Sissies. 

I spent many years pullin a “mil spec” trigger 

19 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Some of ya'll need to man up and start pulling a mil-spec trigger.

Sissies. 

I had a fellow member install a spring kit on my LE6920. Much better but it doesn't set off hard primers but I can live with it. Now the Axis I bought a few years ago had about the worst trigger I have come across. That was replaced with a Rifle Basix that I have at 1lb 13oz which is fine for hunting with that rifle as I doubt I'll ever shoot anything past 200 yards with it.

2lb for me, any lighter and 😬

• Like 1

some of yall are mad men hahaha certainly keeps you aware of whats in the chamber

My weatherby 2 stage peaks at 3lb 4oz and my rem 700 TT is 2lb. (both my hunting rifles)

• Like 1