Jt1911man

Unit 9 Late Rifle Bull

Good morning, my 14-yr-old son and I were drawn for unit 9 late rifle bull.  This will be his first elk hunt, and my second since my first elk hunt in 2013.  I want to start this topic to ask for two things:

1. Do you know of and are you willing to share contact info for any good guides that know the area well and would be willing to provide a more economical 1-2 day service to help put us in the right spot(s) and advise on proper techniques for this area?  We live south of Tucson and are very experienced hunting here, but not experienced elk hunters, nor with most of unit 9 (I have explored some of it by Red Butte and Tusayan).  We will have opportunities to scout and familiarize w/ unit 9, but probably not immediately before our season.

2. And of course, if you are willing, please share your experience and tips for this hunt.

Thank you!

Jim Mullins hands down. Give him a call and see what he can do for you...

my buddy’s kid had that hunt a couple years ago and the best advice he got was to find whatever water they’re hitting and focus on it. They found a tank that had lots of fresh sign...had only seen a few cows and spikes scouting and he killed a nice 6x6 opening morning on that tank  

• Like 4

There are lots of outfits that offer scouting packages. That would probably be a better approach for you. Finding an outfit for 1 or 2 days will be tough because anyone that knows the unit well will likely already have hunts booked for the unit. Honestly, there's probably enough knowledge around here that you wouldn't need to spend money on a scouting package. I'm certain that someone will step up to help you out. 

• Like 1

if you don't go the guide route I can help you out as the hunt gets closer, let me know when you have scout time, lots of things could happen, weather, hunting pressure.

My Wife has an Oct cow tag up there so i can give you a bit of advice.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Javelinasports said:

if you don't go the guide route I can help you out as the hunt gets closer, let me know when you have scout time, lots of things could happen, weather, hunting pressure.

My Wife has an Oct cow tag up there so i can give you a bit of advice.

Javelinasports - thank you for the offer - I'll definitely keep in contact as our hunts get closer!

Everybody-thank you for the suggestions for guides, I'll especially check out what scouting packages exist (that sounds like a really good idea)

And weather. 9 has the craziest weather I have ever seen. It can go from short sleeve weather to single digits or lower in a matter of hours. And the freakin wind can blow.

I don't think you need a guide unless you just want to. If you can get up there even once for a couple of days you should be good. And you will get some good advice from some of the guys here. Lots of open country to glass and lots of tanks. We have taken several bulls there.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 9:34 AM, bigorange said:

Jim Mullins hands down. Give him a call and see what he can do for you...

my buddy’s kid had that hunt a couple years ago and the best advice he got was to find whatever water they’re hitting and focus on it. They found a tank that had lots of fresh sign...had only seen a few cows and spikes scouting and he killed a nice 6x6 opening morning on that tank  

I know Jim, he is good people. He does alot in unit 9. If you are serious about a guide Jim Mullins is a great choice. 

Tough for a guide to give up his spots for a day or 2 hunt.  Most will want to book longer just because their info is so valuable.  Mullins would be my top choice for Unit 9.  Don't forget about Josiah aka Sir Royal on here.  As crazy as he is, he is a good guide and knows unit 9 well.  He doesn't guide for the money, so I am sure he will hook you up with a great deal or maybe even do it for free.  Send him a PM and see what he can do for you.  Good luck

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Elk hntr said:

How did your hunt go?

Let me guess.....you drew a Unit 9 late rifle bull tag?😁

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

🙄

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

No I was just reading this and it left me on a cliff hanger so I was just wondering how it went. I didn’t draw this year but hope to next year.

4A398345-AF82-4395-98A8-817E3DE7C3CC.jpeg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Elk hntr said:

No I was just reading this and it left me on a cliff hanger so I was just wondering how it went. I didn’t draw this year but hope to next year.

4A398345-AF82-4395-98A8-817E3DE7C3CC.jpeg

Happens a lot. Very few come back on to update their hunt.