Sign in to follow this  
Stallone A.

Need Help with choosing .243 or 7mm-08 Remington/Savage or Ruger???

Hello, I know this topic has come up more than once in the past however I read all past posts and did not find any topics on which brand to buy. My sons 10th B-day is on Thurs and I wanted to surprise him with a hunting rifle.

I am interested in a couple of things number one is Action and the others are Trigger and Bolt. I have heard many good things about the Savage Axis but all my rifles are Remington so I don't know what to expect from the savage or even Ruger American. (We all know there are more aftermarket parts for Remington than any other maker). Overall for a youth hunting rifle what would you suggest I buy?

I think Remington is probably the heaviest at 7.25lbs as the others are 6.5lbs.

Also, price for Savage Axis is on sale this week at Cabelas for $309 (not too bad).

I don't want to make this a battle match, I just want peoples suggestions on what they like about their rifles and why.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I have a 308 and 223 axis. Both good guns. Also have a 243 model 10 and 300wsm modlel 116. All great shooters. Look for a used 243 model 10.

My buddy picked up the 7mm-08 Savage Trophy Hunter XP youth model combo with a Nikon BDC scope at Sportsmans recently...I don't remember the price but more than the Axis. Seems like it was just under $500. Biggest advantage was the accu-trigger and higher quality scope. He's very pleased with it so far, and I'll probably be looking for the same package for my son next year...

Savage axis is the best bang for the buck. There is currently a rebate offer going on as well. The axis 2 also comes with the accutrigger. The nice thing about the savage is that you can start him small and change out the barrel to something bigger as he grows up.

You can also buy a full-sized rifle and cut down the wooden stock and install a Limbsaver or Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. Then upgrade to a better stock when he gets older.

That way, you have two stocks for future hunters, like other kids, grandkids, wife, friends, yourself, etc.

Don't get the original Axis. Get the new Axis II. You can find it on buds for like $341 with a scope. Unlike the original Axis, the Axis II has the Accutrigger, which is a HUGE difference from the very heavy trigger used on the Axis. You're probably seeing the original Axis on sale because they're trying to clear them out.

• Like 1

I would go with a 260 Rem...more punch than .243 win, better BC for like sized bullets than the .243 or 7mm...particularly in the bullets weights more suitable to less recoil. A really nice compromise between your too choices.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/72845/Remington+MOD+7+CDL+260+DLR+SYN

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78127/Savage+11+TH+XP+260REM+NIKON

• Like 1

Not what you asked, but I would go with a Tikka T3. I got one in a 7-08 for my wife and kids. Awesome gun! I've never had a Savage so I won't speak to that. Unless you go high end with Remington, I think their quality has dropped.

Also, the 243 might shoot a little flatter, but the 7-08 will have a lot more energy on impact.

I have the Tikka T 3 in a 270. The gun is light weight and I have a Limbsaver on it. Feels good in the hand and the bolt is very smooth. The savage to me feels cheap, but there is lots of up grades for them. In the end shooting a deer to 100 yards to 200 yards with a cheap brand or a high end brand it's going to do the job just fine.

If you are going switch his gun out in the future just get him the .243. If a long term gun get the 7mm 08. Personally I just want to get both!!!!

Don't get the original Axis. Get the new Axis II. You can find it on buds for like $341 with a scope. Unlike the original Axis, the Axis II has the Accutrigger, which is a HUGE difference from the very heavy trigger used on the Axis. You're probably seeing the original Axis on sale because they're trying to clear them out.

I thought that was the case, but I couldn't find anything on the axis and accutrigger. I probably didn't look hard enough. Yeah definitely go with the Axis II if not going for the Trophy Hunter. If you end up going Savage...I'll be interested to see what you choose and what you think of it since I'll be in the same boat next year.

I thought that was the case, but I couldn't find anything on the axis and accutrigger. I probably didn't look hard enough. Yeah definitely go with the Axis II if not going for the Trophy Hunter. If you end up going Savage...I'll be interested to see what you choose and what you think of it since I'll be in the same boat next year.

I bought the original savage axis in 243 without the scope. My plan was to let my daughters boyfriends who wanted to get into hunting use it. I had hoped to be able to buy a box of 100 grain core lokts at walmart and send them out the door with it. Who cares if they scratched the tupperware it is stocked with. Doesn't like 100 grain factory loads. It shoots 87 grain Sierras really good though. The trigger is really stiff. Pretty good buy overall for 3 bills.

I bought a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 for my daughter. Great all around caliber, very accurate with a sweet trigger.

We chose the axis 7mm-08 a few years ago when we were in the same boat. I got a trigger assist for it wich makes it much lighter. He shoots Hornandy 139 SST's. I believe they gave us a rebate/voucher too when he's ready to change to a standard stock from the youth size.

image-19.jpg

Thanks for all the info everybody… Keep it coming, its great to heir everybody's feedback. I am still undecided on what to get him. So the more info the better.

I love the smile on your son's face Kaibabhunter….

Howa makes a great youth rifle, and they are super accurate.

• Like 1

I am a remington 700 guy and i feel that all gun makers have cut corners where they can. I would stick with a remington