Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Kaleigh's first

Kaleigh's first yr hunting and her first hunt was a deer hunt with terrible weather, total bust. She drew a youth Javelina tag in the same unit I had an archery tag in, so I used my hunt to scout for hers. I didn't turn up any of the herds I usually see during my hunt. Opening morning came and the wind was rippin in the morning, didn't have high hopes. We went to another spot and on the way there a herd crossed the road in front of us, we gave chase and tried calling them back with no luck.

We headed to town to grab some lunch and talked about what to do next, go home and come back next weekend or give it another try in another area where I ended up tagging my pig a couple weeks before. We decided to head back out and give it another shot. We arrived in the area where I tagged out and the pigs were no where to be found. We found some snow to play around in then I showed her exactly where I shot my pig. She told me she wished she could could shoot a pig right there. Not a minute later I told her to grab her gun cause I see pigs. Her eyes got real big and said are you serious?

The problem was dad left the gun in the truck and we had to walk back and get it. We returned with her gun and found the pigs again. She had no shot so we went higher. We ran into coach with his son, I told them we had some pigs down below us, they came along for the final stalk. Coach spotted the pigs down low in the raveen, I setup my daughter on the triclawps and she made a great 1 shot kill. I was hoping for a double with coach's son but it didn't work out.

post-3465-0-84004800-1486230880_thumb.jpg

post-3465-0-96874500-1486230709_thumb.jpgpost-3465-0-02422700-1486230899_thumb.jpg

• Like 24

Congrats to Kaleigh! What a great story too. The weather seemed to be bad every weekend of January, glad it didn't cause the hunt to be a bust like her deer tag.

Nice Job Shelvin!

• Like 1

Way to go! Good lesson to learn right out of the gate, just keep going even when it seems hopleless. Congrats to her!

• Like 1

Way to go Kaleigh! My hunting partner and I got skunked during archery. His 11 year old son had the youth hunt in the same unit. We took him out and he got his first pig. It was great to be there with them for the experience.

• Like 1

Way to go dad. So cool to have it right near where u shot yours. Congrats shelvin

• Like 1

Congrats again to Kaleigh! It was sure fun watching her put the smack down. Enjoyed meeting you guys out there.

• Like 1