Sign in to follow this  
rschaumb

No rut behavior

I have the late hunt in 24b. I've been out 3 times and have seen 14 does, 1 small fork day 1. 27 deer day 2, 9 were bucks. Nothing even over 80. And today saw 30 deer. Only 4 bucks. Biggest was maybe 60 inches. Anyone else having this problem. Tons of does and only a few small bucks. Hopefully I can find a good one this last weekend. I've been out in this area before a week before the late hunt even started and I've seen 80-90 inch bucks with does. Weird year. Not the greatest to finally get this tag after 6 years.

In 24a, saw a 60" and 80" buck last week interested in does but that was all after hunting all week. Got back up here today, hoping to see rut activity this week.

They are waiting for a cold snap. Hang in there. You only need One........BOB!

We had the same issue but no bucks. Only does and not very many. Zero rut activity. I will say in November we had bucks sparing but that's normal.

I've seen it both ways this time of year, right about now I've seen hard rutting and nothing as well. Mostly we try to hunt later in January and see more consistent rutting. Heading out next week to do some checking for a longer hunt.

As for the cold it was 10 degrees in the morning when we crawled out of the tent. Not sure they need that to kick it in.

• Like 1

Know a guy hunting late 27 - should be a stud hunt. No rut where he is, so I kinda joked about the warm weather. Says it's cold and snow on the ground parts of the unit. Could just be a bad year.

Waiting on first light right now. Hoping for a good pre rut or rut or whatever today. I dont care what it is as long as I find that buck...

• Like 3

Same here--out in 24B with a mess of does alll Mulies and no bucks around them . Traveled up higher in elevation and encountered a small buck Whitetail---by himself .

Day started out cold and temps just went up . Can't complain though-- was a great day to be out enjoying our public lands .

Best of luck to all .

To many hunts and tags in 24b now. You are getting the leftover bucks. What are you the 4th rifle hunt?

show me a unit that doesnt have too many tags. if you include the archert hunts its the 6th-7th hunt in many units lmao

• Like 2

Saturday before Christmas, I watched a 2-pointer wt chasing two does. Not sure they wanted anything to do with him, but he was feeling it.

Guest akaspecials

I had a similar experience a few years ago with a late December 24b rifle tag. I scouted all summer and fall, and by the end of October we went from seeing lots of bucks to just does and spikes. I was very disappointed with the December rut and shot a spike on my last day to hunt. I went back into the same area in January with a bow and the bucks were all over again.

The coues rut in 24b typically runs early January to early February in my experience. The bucks are still there, they are just in the thick stuff and not moving a lot yet. Get away from roads and glass until your eyes bleed and your butt feels like its about to fall off, there are plenty of bucks over 80 inches around, they are just staying low and gearing up for January.