Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Why I buy points

Wyo You can get tags every few years but not anything of quality. You might get lucky once in a while. But I would not get over excited. Its oppurtunity. But still at least more animals than AZ. But it aint cheap............BOB!

BOB, The tag I drew 3 years ago you can currently draw with zero points. I have several friends who draw that unit every year. For the last 3 years in a row my buddies have killed 70-75 inch bucks in that unit. I missed a buck I'm sure was over 80. My buddies have also hunted several other units with zero point draw odds with very similar size animals. I'm not sure about your opinion of quality, but in my mind hunting Antelope every year is quality. Especially if I have a chance at 70+ size bucks!

ThomC, I'm definitely 100% average! I struggle for money just like most people. I definitely can't afford to go on out of state hunts every year, but I can afford to buy a few points in a few states. My goal is to have a bunch of points built up by the time I can actually afford to go out of state.

• Like 1

WOW are there any average joes on this site or just rich buggers? I just want

probably got a feel the bern sticker on your minivan.

Laughing....

We all make choices on how we spend our money, even average ThomC's.

• Like 2

I hear ya Adam, I have been building points in Wyoming, Utah and Colorado just to have the opportunity to be able to go hunting somewhere every year. Colorado has some first season elk hunts that you can draw with zero or one points. Better then messing with the crowds on the otc hunts plus you can turn the tag back in and get your money back if you do draw a more desirable hunt elsewhere.

Since I moved to Texas, I am pretty much stuck with out of state hunts, not much public land here. Glad I bought a lifetime license before I left though.

Adam I got six points for lope in Wyoming, where are you putting in at? Haha

Adam. I am older and have to put money towards Retirement too. Lopes don't turn me on that much. Just My op.If You can afford it go for it. Good luck. point kreep is coming there too....Have fun well You can...........BOB!

If lopes dont float youre boat I get it but cost of tags and fuel this year should cost me between 1000 and 1200. And thats for a buck tag, 2 doe tags and 2 whitetail doe tags all done on public land. You say the quality is not good but any pronghorn Hunt you can get every 1-4 years is better than the tag you get in az every, o wait you cant.

• Like 2

I find it funny that there are many people that say there is no opportunity to hunt anymore. I would argue that there is more opportunity to hunt today than every before. If for no other reason that the information is readily available that wasn't available 25 years ago.

Honestly my biggest issue isn't finding hunts but finding the time to do the hunts. I also look at AZ as my "trophy" state and the other states as my opportunity states. Biggest reason is that getting a trophy tag in some of these states is almost impossible as a non resident.......but getting a decent tag is achievable every few years or so out of state.

Going on a combo Mule deer, cow elk, bear hunt in CO this year. Had 2 deer points, 1 elk point and bear is OTC. Tough to beat that for 10 days of hunting with some buddies.

• Like 1

Nice set up, congrats on the pay off. My strategy is a little more drastic, I plan to move to better hunting. We are looking hard in Colorado for land and then I plan to buy the az lifetime license so I can come back here most years.

Only bad thing is I really don't like Colorado politics and the anti hunting trend is also not looking good lately. Still az is not doing much better.

About the same plan I have, except I am looking at Wyoming instead of Colorado. A ton of inexpensive over the counter tags for big game if you are a resident. The politics in Wyoming will never be an issue. There are less people in the entire state than there is in the City of Mesa. Putting myself on a 2 year plan to get there, that is when my stepson graduates high school.

Good plan except for the weather, southern Colorado isn't much more than flagstaff weather wise. I have no desire to be snowed in or frozen out most of the year

MULEPACKHUNTER, have you checked into what over the counter opportunities are available for residents of Colorado? I am curious as I could see southern Colorado being a really good option as well. I just want to be able to hunt without always relying on a draw.

If a bought a bonus point in Wyoming for antelope this year, is there a hunt next year I could guarantee a draw? I’m not looking for a trophy and I would like to buy some doe tags as well. Is that possible?

If a bought a bonus point in Wyoming for antelope this year, is there a hunt next year I could guarantee a draw? Im not looking for a trophy and I would like to buy some doe tags as well. Is that possible?

Tons of them. I dont know much about them so I cant give you specific units as I banked 9 points and burned them on a red desert tag last year, but there are plenty that can be drawn with 0 and 1 point. Especially in the special draw which is a little higher tag fee.

• Like 1

There are lots of units in Wyoming you can draw an Antelope tag with 0-2 points. Some better than others, but all will be a lot of fun! You should expect to kill a 12-14 inch goat.

• Like 2

There are lots of units in Wyoming you can draw an Antelope tag with 0-2 points. Some better than others, but all will be a lot of fun! You should expect to kill a 12-14 inch goat.

I would kill an 8 goat.

• Like 1