ctafoya

What's up with this?

Plus this one over the weekend as well.......

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/p/driver-dies-following-utv-crash-near-new-river/vp-BBNtwnP

I was camping up by Chevlon over the Labor Day weekend holiday and to be honest with you.....the buzzing(ATV) never stopped I was surprised there were no accidents. So many ATV's and drivers driving so fast on dirt roads! Very little common sense being exhibited in general!!!!

• Like 1

There are dozens to the ER here in Flag on holiday weekends.  They do not make the news anymore.  Too fast, underage, alcohol, riding double, not paying attention, no helmets...

IMHO---Speed on the dirt roads from these UTV operators unbelievable . Not all drive like they are the only ones out there . Have seen and passed folks operating their go fast UTV's in a safe manner . Other than that be careful out there .  

A full size truck and UTV mix it up on the dirt roads won't be pretty . Be safe .

• Like 1

I remember when it was fun to leisurely ride around. Nowadays, there seem to be too many Kamikaze riders out in the popular spots. The closer to the cities, the worse it is.

Can't imagine what someone was doing to drive off a cliff? 

1 hour ago, chico said:

IMHO---Speed on the dirt roads from these UTV operators unbelievable . Not all drive like they are the only ones out there . Have seen and passed folks operating their go fast UTV's in a safe manner . Other than that be careful out there .  

A full size truck and UTV mix it up on the dirt roads won't be pretty . Be safe .

These idiot ATV and UTV drivers are all the excuse needed for the BLM and forest service to close roads down.

Try being on horseback when these jack azzes come flying down the trail.

• Like 1

Kinda like the old days when the only thing on dirt roads were logging trucks and pick-up trucks. logging trucks always won.

problem is everyone doesnt like to stay on there side of the forrest road, they drive down the middle of the road like they own it Trucks included. most people dont slow up around a corner let alone stay to there right. so someone coming up the other way your going to have an accident.  bigger truck always wins. if people would quit being in such a dang hurry all the time the accidents would drop way down.  no need to go 40-60MPH down a dirt road unless you can see 1-2 miles a head of you.

these smaller vehicles will handle better on dirt roads thats why your seeing them with high rates a speed. where as a pickup truck will beat you to death on a dirt road going over 20 so you tend to limit your speed via how much punishment you can take, or if the wife is in the Back seat bitching cause your going to fast(never put the wife in the front seat ;) )

buddy and I got in a pretty bad one up on the 300 road when it was snowed in. (bad meaning no one got hurt seriously just both vehicles destroyed. he was being a dipshit in his brand new truck sliding corners in the snow. I warned him alot. so was the other guy coming the other way same deal and his girlfreind/wife was chewing him out.  bam both trucks hit and went over a small embankment beat the crap out of the trucks. totaled my buddies and pretty much the other guys.  Me and the other guys girlfreind/wife sat there and watched these to idiots yell at each other of whos fault it was for an hour.

tow truck bills were pricey that was just to payson as both had cabins north of payson.. would have sucked to be towed to phx. Insurance claimed stupidity on both drivers. buddies rates went way up he was only 21 at the time.

one reason I dont take the quad up unless its a weekday

Stupid driving but there already trying to blame the forest service, they'll close all the roads, apparently stupid doesn't fly, prayers to the families

I hope nobody is to blame except for them.  We're all guilty of hot rodding around from time to time.  

I try to take the back roads to and from Holbrook when I drive from Mesa.  I stay away from that 300 road and a few others near there  because of the UTVs.  It's insane how many there are and how reckless they are especially during the weekends.  I just take the 504 to the Territorial road.  Then another route is through Chevlon Retreat.  There are less of them out there.  

This kind of reminds me of a close call I had during the OTC elk hunt when the area north of Hutch Ranch was open.  There were so many people out there it was crazy.  It was kind of like people gathering at the Cinders or Sand Dunes.  In some places you could see UTVs and trucks kicking up dust for miles around and campsites all over the place.  A lot of us were serious hunters and some of them brought the girlfriends and their friends.  I was driving in the junipers trying to find a quiet place and a UTV with a couple of good looking women turned a corner and about hit me head on.  It's hard to describe how close we came to hitting each other.  Very scary.

The 300 road is insane when it comes to recreational driving. Not sure what it is, but people seem to think they are the only utv/atv/truck on that road. I've been forced off many time while in my truck. The weekends are the worst.

Terrible deal all the way around. Thoughts and prayers to the family of those that died. 

1 hour ago, Forlorn Hope said:

The 300 road is insane when it comes to recreational driving. Not sure what it is, but people seem to think they are the only utv/atv/truck on that road. I've been forced off many time while in my truck. The weekends are the worst.

Terrible deal all the way around. Thoughts and prayers to the family of those that died. 

And let's keep in mind the 300 road was originally laid out as a supply road between forts suitable for supply wagons, not for off road racing. 

I'm seeing some really terrible posts online about this accident. If speed was involved it's soley the operators fault and three innocent passengers paid the ultimate price for the drivers poor judgement.

Went up the Crown King Rd the other day with a fellow who drove like the devil was racing him. I complained so much about the speeds we just about got into a fight. What was the rush?

He slowed way down on the way back but still nearly had four head on collisions. Luckily the oncoming traffic didn't approach on tight corners.

And my buddy driving is a rural medic/fireman used to seeing these wrecks.

You’re right Edge. That’s a road where a person really needs to lay off the throttle a bit. 

I did some research using the information from Inciweb on the fire location and the Coconico forest announcement of the 300 road closure between the 123 and 141 road. Reports said it was above Washington Park. Using that data as a starting point, looking at Google Earth, it appears the wreck happened at a dog leg turn to the right. Reports said they were traveling west on the 300 road. Either they weren’t expecting that dogleg turn or were traveling way too fast to negotiate the turn. Sad deal. 

Here are are the pics from Google Earth of that turn, from a birds eye to a 2D view. 

EB61DE13-B8B2-415F-8DCE-B4999A299F81.png

0DC74431-11F2-4714-AB4E-F7F88DAD6110.png