Red Rabbit

Applying for a New Unit?

Why instead of punishing all residents can’t we make the non-resident otc hunts draws? Every hunting show on YouTube brags about how these guys from all over the country are coming here to hunt deer in the rut otc. I think that is the problem with the greater number of hunters and harvests. I don’t get to go to New Mexico, and correct me if I’m wrong but I’m almost certain I cannot go to Utah as well, and hunt deer in December and January otc. Limit the tags for non-residents and make them draws. If you’re worried about money, then raise the prices on the non-residents. Stop punishing residents to pander to non-resident hunters. I don’t want to sound like I hate other people getting to enjoy hunting in AZ, but I’m also tired of not being able to hunt desirable units in my state because of non-residents. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, STWslinger said:

Why instead of punishing all residents can’t we make the non-resident otc hunts draws? Every hunting show on YouTube brags about how these guys from all over the country are coming here to hunt deer in the rut otc. I think that is the problem with the greater number of hunters and harvests. I don’t get to go to New Mexico, and correct me if I’m wrong but I’m almost certain I cannot go to Utah as well, and hunt deer in December and January otc. Limit the tags for non-residents and make them draws. If you’re worried about money, then raise the prices on the non-residents. Stop punishing residents to pander to non-resident hunters. I don’t want to sound like I hate other people getting to enjoy hunting in AZ, but I’m also tired of not being able to hunt desirable units in my state because of non-residents. 

At this rate, they’re all probably residents now.. lol 

Anyway, I do like the idea of non-res draw or atleast non-res cap for otc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, STWslinger said:

23,000 residents +/-, vs 3,000-4000 NR buy over the counter tags don't think it is a all NR problem. 

1 hour ago, 654321 said:

23,000 residents +/-, vs 3,000-4000 NR buy over the counter tags don't think it is a all NR problem. 

Those numbers can be kind of misleading though. Some residents grab a tag just to have in their pocket and go out for maybe a day or two. Many don't actually hunt January either because then you can't put in for rifle hunts in the fall. I would venture a guess that 90% of those Non-Res guys are here in Dec/Jan. This is anecdotal though... so maybe I'm wrong. That's just been my experience with people I know well. 

1 hour ago, 654321 said:

• Like 3

12 hours ago, idgaf said:

dang that changed quickly. Oh well it's been 10 years since I have had a rifle tag. Another year won't matter. 

No kidding.  We put my son in for 36C Oct and 36C late Nov as first and second choices and he didn't draw.  Odds on the October hunt were like 94% with one point in the 1/2 pass...he is just that unlucky.

The days of 1000+ leftover coues tags are long gone...and the days of 3-5 pass tags outside of Cochise County are coming to an end too.

33 minutes ago, 1uglydude said:

No kidding.  We put my son in for 36C Oct and 36C late Nov as first and second choices and he didn't draw.  Odds on the October hunt were like 94% with one point in the 1/2 pass...he is just that unlucky.

The days of 1000+ leftover coues tags are long gone...and the days of 3-5 pass tags outside of Cochise County are coming to an end too.

Unfortunately recession will hit soon and reset things.  See 2009. So I guess there is a bright side. 

It wasn't that long ago when you could walk down the street and pick up a left over tag for one of the 36's. Those days are gone.

• Like 1

There was a time when people were afraid to hunt the 36’s because of the illegal traffic but then it got cleaned up pretty good......looks like those days are back in full swing now though!😂

On 6/3/2021 at 5:01 AM, zslayer said:

There was a time when people were afraid to hunt the 36’s because of the illegal traffic but then it got cleaned up pretty good......looks like those days are back in full swing now though!😂

Lots of people walking around the hills, but still pretty safe. They do help push the deer around though 🤷‍♂️.

Why not go down to just three choices instead of 5 if the 3-5 pass is going to be "gone" in the future anyway?

• Like 1

The illegal traffic is picking up again in the 36's. This past week I came across 2 young guys dressed in high dollar camo head to toe. Early 20's and asking for food and water. Wanted to know which way to Amado and Tucson. I told them and then drove away. Called the border patrol a few minutes later. Over the past couple of months I have found 3 different camp sites where they have left carpet shoes, backpacks, blankets. The traffic is picking up.

Hi Red Rabbit,

I know this was posted a while ago but figured I would share my 2 cents. I am hunting a new unit this year and I hunted one last year as well. It is probably not the most productive strategy as far as killing big bucks but I just love exploring new places. There’s something special about everywhere I have explored with the the intentions of hunting these fascinating little deer. I started chasing coues 6 years ago and have now hunted them in four different units, each one special in its own way. 
cheers!

• Like 1