Red Rabbit

Applying for a New Unit?

Is anyone applying for a new/different unit for Coues this year?  Is the reason for draw odds, success rate, different season, border issues, challenge of a new unit, wanderlust?  Just curious.

Didn't draw youth cow for the first time this year. Probably gonna switch gears this year and put the kids in for the local youth hunt.  If my kids loved chasing horns maybe it would be a different story. Good question though. Lots of new changes this year and probably the next few so we just might have to start looking at the draw with a little different perspective.

lots of changes this year, i was listening to Jay Scott podcast with some outfitters and they think in the near future lots of units if not will go to draw for archery.

what do you guys think about archery draw for most or all?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, maximus said:

lots of changes this year, i was listening to Jay Scott podcast with some outfitters and they think in the near future lots of units if not will go to draw for archery.

what do you guys think about archery draw for most or all?

Will have to check out that podcast but I don't like the sounds it. January OTC deer is hands down the hunt I look forward to the most every year. 

• Like 3

Way to many applicants these days , there gonna have too.

I’m thinking we will have to go to min points to enter the draw at some point. 
something like 2 for javelina and deer, 4 for elk and antelope, 8 for sheep. Something like this to help balance the amount of additional applicants to keep draw odds somewhat obtainable.  

6 minutes ago, jdown said:

I’m thinking we will have to go to min points to enter the draw at some point. 
something like 2 for javelina and deer, 4 for elk and antelope, 8 for sheep. Something like this to help balance the amount of additional applicants to keep draw odds somewhat obtainable.  

min point system would do nothing in 2-3 years as everyone would be caught up then its the same old game. I dont understand why people want to keep adding bonus point deals to the draw it makes no sense. Not to mention if people have to wait xx amount of years for a tag why waste it on a crap tag put in for the best units. then your going to need 30-50 points just to draw a decent rim deer tag LOL

Personally I think they should not give out any bonus points that is TRULY a FAIR system that way, Everyone has an equal chance. tons of people get drawn with little to no points every year.

As far as where to put in due to low tags. as always I put in for where I want if I get drawn great if not oh well no biggy. if OTC goes all draw would suck but it may happen 3-5 maybe 20 years from now who knows. 20 years ago everyone was saying the same thing its going to goto all draw. hasnt yet.

• Like 1

Don’t see how you just move off of bonus points after 30 years - that won’t cause a stink I’m sure. 

Trying new units again this year. I like mixing it up every once in awhile. Check out new places. Never hunted elk in 22 before and got a November tag this year. Put in for turkey and deer in different units this year also. Fingers crossed.

16 hours ago, jdown said:

Don’t see how you just move off of bonus points after 30 years - that won’t cause a stink I’m sure. 

No not saying stop them now its too freaking late,

I'm saying if you want a TRUELY Fair system you dont have them.and they should have never been started in the 1st place, let alone adding for this and that over the years as well as point guard.

Trying to get a 3c archery tag.  Ironically it's the unit my home is located in but I have never applied for it. 3-5 I'm trying for a 36c coues tag.  I just realized I haven't hunt with rifle there in over 15 years.  

40 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Trying to get a 3c archery tag.  Ironically it's the unit my home is located in but I have never applied for it. 3-5 I'm trying for a 36c coues tag.  I just realized I haven't hunt with rifle there in over 15 years.  

Just a heads up, 36A is the only 36 unit that had any tags fall to the 3-5 pass last year--it was the second and third hunts.

7 hours ago, 1uglydude said:

Just a heads up, 36A is the only 36 unit that had any tags fall to the 3-5 pass last year--it was the second and third hunts.

dang that changed quickly. Oh well it's been 10 years since I have had a rifle tag. Another year won't matter.