Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

7mm RM Bullet Choice

My old Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag recently got a semi-custom upgrade. It now holds a new 26" 1:9 Criterion barrel, brake, lug, nut, and trigger in a B&C stock. The barrel is floating and action bedded. Now to decide which bullet to load first, I am interested in some CWT wisdom, please and thanks.

I have a reasonable number of 140gr Barnes TTSX and 160gr Nosler Accubonds with 8# kegs of H1000 and RL23. I have several other 1# bottles but prefer to finalize a load with the kegs.

I know both are more than capable and will load each long term to cover long range play, elk and lead-free hunting scenarios - but knowing that I have a WY antelope and AZ coues hunt this fall, which combo of bullet/powder would you load first and focus on for the remainder of 2021?

I shoot a 7mag, but mostly use the heavier 180gr bullets. I think out of what you listed H1000 and the 160’s is a great place to start although I don’t think you could go wrong with RL23 either. I shot the 162 sst for a little while behind 71grs H1000 and got around 3080fps.

• Like 1

Out of those choices, since the 12s and 13s are not on your hunting unit list, I would load the 160s over RL23.  Just finished a couple loads with the 160 NAB and a 162 ELD-M, both over RL23.  Both very accurate.  Both good speeds from a 26" 1:9".

• Like 1

Great responses, thank you! 

Lance, any additional info on those charge weights with the RL23 and 160's?

When I was having those problems with 160's on the old barrel, I started at 61gr.

Realistically how far do you plan on shooting? For 20+ years all I ever shot were120gr Barnes X Bullets somewhere north of 3400fps with either RL19 or 22 but I never had to shoot anything farther than 300 yards.

• Like 1

168gr or 180gr Bergers. Maximize the cartridges potential and shoot a heavy high BC bullet. H1000 will work great with both bullet weights. You can expect velocities in the 2900-3000fps range with the 168s and 28-2900 with the 180s depending on what your barrel likes.

• Like 1

STOMP, your input is always greatly appreciated but I'm working with the 2 bullets above. I have other rifles lighter in carry weight and chambering that drop critters dead but fragment a decent amount of lead.

In this setup, I was specifically seeking bullets that hold together and could kill an elk out several hundred yards.

I would have gone with 1:8 to shoot the heavies. The 1:9 should help keep my options open for the future though.

In looking at max loads from Barnes for the 140TTSX (3200 fps MV) and Nosler for the 160NAB (3050 fps MV), the data at 700 yards is in favor of the 160NAB.  160NAB vs 140TTSX data at 700 yards.  2053 vs 1916fps.  1497 vs 1141 ft-lbs energy.  27 vs 34" wind drift (10mph crosswind)  Both dropping the same amount at 700 yards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't ever shoot anything farther than 599 on game (arbitrary but meaningful to me for some reason) but your analysis still prefers the Noslers. Thank you.

7 hours ago, CouesPursuit said:

Great responses, thank you! 

Lance, any additional info on those charge weights with the RL23 and 160's?

When I was having those problems with 160's on the old barrel, I started at 61gr.

What problems did you have?  I am usually around 65.0 to 66.0 depending on brass.  

I'm still not sure what the problem was but I do want to give the 160 NABs another shot. Same rifle now, but everything including Norma brass is new.

When I was working up a load for my Tikka 7MM, I tried a wide variety of bullets.  I was hoping my barrel would like the 168gr NAB long range, but my groups would open up.  I dropped down to the 160gr NAB and found the sweet spot.  I'm a huge fan of how the Nosler 160gr Accubonds performed in the field.  One shot harvests on a 6X6 bull (400 yards), 4X4 muley (419 yards) and 3X3 Coues (404 yards).  Good luck!

image.png.c05ddbca5e182e5eff0b9517a0cf666d.png

• Like 1

One of my elk guns is a 7mag. I have shot some mule deer with it also. 175 gain federal premium,  gold box. Browning BAR MARK 2 Safari grade. It likes those. My 700 does not, trial and time.

With your range limits either of the bullets you listed will work great. Just find what shoots best.

If you can find 139 or 145 LRXs try them.  They have a slightly better BC than your 140's and a lower expansion velocity. We've been very happy with LRXs in several calibers.

• Like 1