rossislider

Newly Approved Hunter Ethics Course for the Bonus Point

2 minutes ago, bigorange said:

I like it…gives the adult bonus point seekers an alternative so they won’t fill up the classes that benefit youth more. 

Yes, that was the stated intent. 

I think they should have charged more money for the class, but offered another Bonus Point with it.  Like speeding tickets, you pay a fee to drive extra fast.  So why not pay an extra fee for another bonus point?

• Sad 1

So is this just basically allowing the adults to get their bonus point without a field day? And making a little extra for that convenience? Seems like a fair deal vs what people would have to pay to come all the way to az.

• Like 1

Seems to me like another revenue grab. I like it for NR’s for sure but a  bit high at $150 for a resident , unless relocated from the west coast,lol.  Just my HO.  Wasn’t the hunter Ed free?

• Like 2

Can someone who already has the Hunters ED get another point for this course? 

If they can buy a point why can't I? I already did the ED class as a kid. 

20 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

Can someone who already has the Hunters ED get another point for this course? 

If they can buy a point why can't I? I already did the ED class as a kid. 

You CAN buy a point. For $150 and taking the course. But if you already have a hunter education point from your class as a kid then you will waste your time and money. 

Once a person, regardless of age or residency, completes an AZ Hunter Education Course (emphasis on completes) they earn a permanent bonus point. That is their one and only such bonus point ever. This new online course does not add an additional point, it’s a vehicle to provide opportunity to an adult to earn the PBP without having to travel to AZ to take a course and complete it by participating in a field day. Anyone, resident or nonresident,  can still come to AZ and take a hunter education course or complete our course online with a field day and earn the point for the nominal class fee. It is a convenience for adults and if a resident would rather pay $150 to get the bonus point than attend a class, that’s their choice. Remember, we do not require hunters 14 and older to take hunter Ed and a this new course is not going to satisfy a Hunter Education Requirement in another state, it’s simply for educational purposes and to facilitate an adult earning the PBP.

For years the AZGFD has been able to glean data from surveys and from in-person attendees of the Nonresident Supplemental Class we have hosted and taught in Golden Valley, AZ at the Mohave Sportsmans Club. The vast majority of the participants were nonresident hunters. The financial commitment to attend for anyone outside reasonable driving distance was considerable with plane tickets, vehicle rental, and lodging. They spent far more than $300 and I will admit to a bit of surprise at that final price for the course, I had thought it to wind up being at least $500 for nonresidents.

The course has been in the works conceptually for almost two years and a lot of serious thought and work went into its creation. Hopefully the Department will see a lot of sales and revenue from it. The question is will other states finally see the potential for the same for their game & fish departments?

Just remember, there is NO 2nd bonus point for anyone, earn one and done. I am sure some folks will take this course then cry foul they thought they were getting “another bonus point”. The AZGFD has been very clear that is not the case, customers need to read and be aware that if they already have a bonus point, they will not get a 2nd point for completing this course.

The course isn’t a gimme either. The student can not just blow through the content to a testing area and take a test. They can cover the material and then have two attempts to pass the final exam. If they aren’t successful, they are required to take the course again and pay the fee.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, just want to clear up the “we can get a 2nd bonus point” misconception.

Jim Rich

MV, AZ

• Like 4

Neither AZGFD or the NRA can produce evidence I took hunters Ed 50 years ago.

If I'd known that when I was 11 years old, I'd kept the certificate somewhere safer than my sock drawer.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:39 PM, wildwoody said:

Nope only one, I believe class had to be taken after 1980 January 1.

I'm in that boat. Took the class in 72. This will help me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edge said:

Neither AZGFD or the NRA can produce evidence I took hunters Ed 50 years ago.

If I'd known that when I was 11 years old, I'd kept the certificate somewhere safer than my sock drawer.

It took them a while but they found mine in the "microfish" archives. Sent me a new card but no bonus point!