maximus

Heffelfinger on instagram

This is kind of a strange one to me. I’ve seen him on multiple videos with guys and it seemed like they were all very actively promoting coming to Az to hunt. I can’t understand what else he thought was going to happen?! I do completely agree with him in that it sucks to not be able to get drawn to hunt here every year now though…

• Like 5

simple economics.  supply and demand.  human population of AZ in the last 25 years has greatly exceeded that of the deer population

4 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

simple economics.  supply and demand.  human population of AZ in the last 25 years has greatly exceeded that of the deer population

Probably 2-10 ratio compared to 25 years ago 

When tragedy strikes a family like that… all you can do is pray for them. 

it appears someone isn’t the good ol boys club anymore.  Maybe he should just buy the governors tag. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mc68 said:

This is kind of a strange one to me. I’ve seen him on multiple videos with guys and it seemed like they were all very actively promoting coming to Az to hunt. I can’t understand what else he thought was going to happen?! I do completely agree with him in that it sucks to not be able to get drawn to hunt here every year now though…

“Not be able to get drawn to hunt here  every  year now though”?

Been that way for a while for lots of people, some people have  had stupid luck pulling tags.   No left over tags, POS hunts with 4 hunts in one unit selling out,  his thread is pure b.s.   Quality deer hunting in AZ is not what it was, and opportunity is crap.    I don’t have the answer, but for a biologist to whine on social media because the department he worked for’s policy finally affected him is amusing to me.

To cry and cry about not getting a tag is funny .most will put in for hunts and have the same results year after year no tags .that's what happens when hunter # s are up .there are less and less bucks to hunt than there once was and the buck to doe ratio is all outa wack .I can't tell you how many times I've glasses deer up only to find does no bucks.I think we'd do the deer population good if we could target a few units for doe hunts to bring the buck to doe ratio back to a decent number and move from unit to unit every few years or as needed to correct the ratio.then cut back on tag numbers to let the deer grow and get some age .just my 2 cents

2 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

To cry and cry about not getting a tag is funny .most will put in for hunts and have the same results year after year no tags .that's what happens when hunter # s are up .there are less and less bucks to hunt than there once was and the buck to doe ratio is all outa wack .I can't tell you how many times I've glasses deer up only to find does no bucks.I think we'd do the deer population good if we could target a few units for doe hunts to bring the buck to doe ratio back to a decent number and move from unit to unit every few years or as needed to correct the ratio.then cut back on tag numbers to let the deer grow and get some age .just my 2 cents

Good thing you’re not a biologist.  One buck can breed many does, and fawn recruitment is what brings back deer populations, both buck and doe.  Killing does will only lead to a lower population overall. Buck to doe ratios are only meaningful in a healthy population.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Good thing you’re not a biologist.  One buck can breed many does, and fawn recruitment is what brings back deer populations, both buck and doe.  Killing does will only lead to a lower population overall. Buck to doe ratios are only meaningful in a healthy population.

Nope absolutely not a biologist are you? I'm just a avarage hunter who has been in several units and seen the large doe population.its done in the mid west to balance the buck to doe ratio and promote better balance.if we constantly take the bucks out by only hunting them we have an balance issue.1 buck can breed many does that are ready but if we have no bucks because we only target them then what? Does won't breed does or maybe in today's times of rainbows and identity issues they might

There are other ways to hunt.  Think about applying in other states.  I’m not wealthy so all I do is NM and occasionally MN for whitetail.  Also, does it have to be big game?  Maybe look into quail, rabbits and other varmints.  I know we are spoiled and spend our time wanting and don’t want to hear anything else except what we want, but now it could be time to think of other ways to satisfy the hunting experience because it’s not going to get any better.  The formula for that is less people and less habit loss.  If we figure out a way to take care of those two things, we will see more and more animals. One thing I miss is Prairie Dogs.  I wish a biologist can answer that one because I’ve had as much fun with those as big game.

6 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Hunter #s are not that far askew from what they were in the past. These are the USFWS figures for hunting license sales since 2014.  

302,383 2021
304,789 2020
310,392 2019
305,214 2018
324,553 2017
215,444 2016
200,092 2015
195,213 2014

8 hours ago, trophyseeker said:

Hunter #s are not that far askew from what they were in the past. These are the USFWS figures for hunting license sales since 2014.  

302,383 2021
304,789 2020
310,392 2019
305,214 2018
324,553 2017
215,444 2016
200,092 2015
195,213 2014

Is 2016 the year the started paying influencers?

• Like 1