Sign in to follow this  
desertsheep

Brocks Broken arm Antelope

After my oldest son drew a early rifle elk tag this year. I decided to get him and I a New Mexico antelope tag. I thought it would help him gain some confidence. One night while I was home doing some painting, Brock was at football practice. I told my wife I was going to run over and watch the last hour of practice. I had just pulled up and walked on the field when I could see his coach helping him up. I knew as soon as I saw him that his arm was broke.

Aug_22_2008_0211.jpg

brocks_arm1.jpg

I was sick knowing he had two good tags this year. We let them get a cast on his arm and then we were right back out to the shooting range. He could shoot ok but we knew it was going to be tricky just trying to hold the rifle, work the bolt, turn the power up and down on his scope. I knew when it came down to the hunt we were probaly only going to get one good shot. And I was going to have to help him get set up

We got to the ranch one day early to scout. After spending all day on the ranch we had a couple of goats picked out.

BrocksAntelope2008003.jpg

This ranch was cut up into three big pastures. There was a good goat next to us on a pasture we couldnt hunt so we decided we would start at a place they call the bad lands. Opening morning we found a goat way down in the bad lands. He was to far to tell much about him some we took off and made a stalk over to him. Once we got over to him and I looked at him through my spotting scope I could tell he wasnt that big. So we backed out and started to look some more. Just after getting back to the truck I found another goat that was a shooter. So Brock and I staked in to 300 yds. As we were getting set up something spooked him and his doe and they busted.

After getting back to the truck a friend of mine who had brought his boy out to hunt also called and said they took a goat and that the rancher had called and said the anetlope that was on the private pasture came off last night and got a drink at his tank. We loaded up and made are way over to Mike who was watching to buck.

Brock and I made a plan for a stalk and started out after them. We got to 280 yds but the grass was so tall Brock couldnt see the the buck when he was laying down prone. The Antelope started making their way away from us. We walked about a 100yds so we could see them again. They were 600yds away from us at this point. I was standing next to a mesquite bush wactching them when all of asudden the buck starting running right at us. It was all I could do throw my pack on the ground, Help Brock get a bullet int the gun and lined up on the buck. He stopped 60 yds away quatering to us. Brock said he not broad side I told him just put it on his shoulded and shoot him. Brock drilled himright on the shoulder and the buck didnt make it 20yds.

BrocksAntelope2008015.jpgBrocksAntelope2008007.jpgBrocksAntelope2008029.jpg

We enjoyed great sunrises and sunsets everyday. It was a neat to watch my son take his first antelope. He did awesome keeping up on the stalks, belly crawling through the grass and carrying his own rifle with his broken arm. Now on to elk.

BrocksAntelope2008045.jpgBrocksAntelope2008036.jpg

Sounds like that NM antelope hunt was a nice hunt for a youth, considering the abundance of game seen stalk opportunities and high success rate. Brock will likely remember it well due to the broken arm and cast.

Good luck to him on his elk hunt.

What were Brock's first thoughts when he realized his arm was broke?

Doug~RR

I big congratulations to Brock on his antelope and a nice one at that. He's got to be pretty tough to get out there and go though all that with a broken arm and still pull off a successful hunt. My hats off to you young man and your Dad. Now go get that elk and be sure and keep us updated on your hunt. :)

TJ

That is a tough break--silver spoon i think they call them--double break and they don't heal real fast. My youngest daughter busted her arm the same way when she was a little turd climbing on the monkey bars at school--she healed up pretty well only to break another bone two years later on the same wrist. The Doc said that if she hadn't busted her arm the way she did before it would have broke there but because the breaks heal stronger than the original bone it broke in another spot.

Good job on the antelope and i hope he can dump a toad of a bull!

Awesome story and pictures Jason. Sorry to hear about your boy breaking his arm, its happend to me several times. Good luck on the upcoming elk hunt, alot of big bulls being pulled out of there this year.

Too bad for your son's pain, but OUTSTANDING antelope hunt!!!! Congrats to you and he both!!!

Both of my sons play Pop-Warner football (talk about a hectic fall schedule.... with hunts & all... :lol: ), and I don't often think about the potential consequences..... Once in a while one of their teammates goes down, and I suppose it could happen to them anytime. In the meantime though; they're enjoying it and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll stay safe! ;)

Again, best regards to your son on a great hunt!!!

S.

:)

Congratulations to Brock on a nice antelope!! That country around Vaughn sure has tons of antelope.

That picture of his arm before setting and casting is pretty cool and I bet he has shown it to all his friends by now.

CONGRATULTIONS to BROCK!!! That is too much of a coincidence though.. My sons name is Brock , he has had a broken arm and if I showed you a picture you would swear they were brothers. Anyway Congratulations again Brock for a fine trophy and I hope your arm recovers quickly.

Bill Green

Hey Jay,

Nice goat, how long is he? i'm off to wyoming on tuesday to thump a few myself, what about a picture of yours? You should see some of the bulls i've been videoing, i've been going out every morning for a week, and have some good one's located, one of my buddies arrowed a 360 bull sat. night, and my cow hunter still hasnt killed, but we're having fun chasing them. well good luck and drop me a line

tommy