Sign in to follow this  
TAM

New Mexico Antelope

Just wanted to share a few pic's and a quick story on my NM Antelope. Four of us drew these tags in the public draw and got assigned a ranch north of Carrizozo. After a few phone calls and emails I figured out that we had drawn a pretty good area so I really had high hopes. This was my third antelope tag in NM in the last four years and I really wanted to get a big one. Finally after all the preperation and hours at the shooting range we drove all night and arrived at our ranch just as it was getting light the day before the hunt opened. We had one full day to scout the ranch and we were determined to make the best of it. The ranch was about 25 square miles and we covered nearly every inch. The morning started off slow and we didn't see much, but by mid day we were seeing speed goats everywhere. The rut was just kicking in and the bucks were gathering herims of does. By the end of the day we figured we had seen 400-500 antelope including a few nice ones. A couple hours before our day of scouting was up we ran across a very tall forward hooking buck with about 10 or 12 does with him right off the main road. Right away it was obvious that the buck not only had the character factor going for him but he was very tall and one of the best bucks we'd seen all day. We knew he was a shooter so we decided to move away from him so we didn't disturb him. Our plan was to come back before light and pull just inside the ranch gate and wait for it to get light enough to glass him up. The next morning we followed our plan and parked just inside the ranch gate. My buddy started to glass with his Swarovski's even though it was still almost completly dark. I thought he was smoking crack and wasting his time using his binos in the dark to look through the windshield of the truck nonetheless. After a minute or two he said in a calm quiet voice "they're right there". I replied "what's right there"? and his response was "the antelope, and there close"! At that point I quietly opened the door of the truck and snuck out and got out my rifle, loaded up and got ready to shoot, but there was still one small problem. It was still not legal shooting light. Luckly the buck laid down and I just sat there with my rifle shouldered and rested on my tripod next to the front driver side tire of the truck waiting for the minutes to tick by so we'd be legal. After what seemed like a very long time we were finally within legal shooting hours the buck stood up to check his does. As soon as he was clear of the other animals I sent a 140 grain Berger VLD his way and he was mine!

Yes Casey the Berger bullet performed perfectly.

He is by far my best antelope and has some real unique character. His horns are 17.5 inches long and hook forward. I had a great time with Mike, Greg, and Russ and we all killed some nice antelope. Hopefully we'll draw out again next year and I can make it four NM antelope tags in five years. :)

Also just to set the record straight. We did not use walkie-talkie radios on this hunt, but we were listening to the satelite radio when we found him. I hope that doesn't cross any ethics barriers. ;)

post-25-1221714355_thumb.jpg

post-25-1221714367_thumb.jpg

post-25-1221714380_thumb.jpg

post-25-1221755574_thumb.jpg

That buck definately has character!!!!

whats the secret to drawing in New Mexico? Are you using an outfitter number on your application? I have been putting in for 10 years for Antelope and havent been drawn ever in NM.

I heard its much better odds with an outfitter number, then you hunt on your own.

Ron

Tim,

Congrats on your string of draws and getting a tall character buck!

"Also just to set the record straight. We did not use walkie-talkie radios on this hunt, but we were listening to the satelite radio when we found him. I hope that doesn't cross any ethics barriers."

The satellite radio may give you an unfair advantage over "those" walkie-talkies.

I know that you can get a signal with the satellite radios almost everywhere, but with the FRS walkie-talkies, a small hill will block the signal.

Also, the music background of the satellite radio my lull the antelope like when the NM wind "sings" through the telephone wires. A distinct unfair advantage to stalk lulled antelope. Whereas the background noise of a walkie-talkie is more like the static of an electrical storm and puts the antelope on edge thinking they will be started by the flashes on booms of the thunderstorm.

Yep, those satellite radios provide an unethical advantage and I'm aghast your truck would even be equipped with such a device. ;)

Doug~RR

Awesome buck Tim. Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Phil