Adicted

Need Help.. Missed biggest deer of my life

1 hour ago, galiuro mountain man said:

Did you dial moa instead of clicks in the excitement?  For example instead of 24 clicks, dialed 24 moa, about 95 clicks.  That would have been around 12' high for 400 yds.  It would be hard to tell exactly how high you shot without a steep backdrop behind the target.

The read out on that range finder is in MOA. It’s gives you the yardage and under that the MOA to dial up or down. In his case 400 yards should have told him + 4.0 MOA….give or take. 

• Like 1

First of all.  In order to help you I’m gonna need GPS coords to where it happened.  

Secondly, sometimes shoot happens.  If the gun was on and the dope is good you just missed.  I missed a muley in Utah last week.  Shot over his back twice at 450.  Held 12” low and shot right over his back again.  The gun shoots 3/8moa and I’ve killed deer with it out to 1000.  I just plain a55 missed.  

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, galiuro mountain man said:

Did you dial moa instead of clicks in the excitement?  For example instead of 24 clicks, dialed 24 moa, about 95 clicks.  That would have been around 12' high for 400 yds.  It would be hard to tell exactly how high you shot without a steep backdrop behind the target.

That was my thought, as well. 

21 hours ago, 429mike said:

Did you field verify the info the range finder was giving you before season. Im curious how you switched it from the 300 profile to the creedmore one so fast as mine takes an eternity.

1. did you have the right profile loaded?

2. is all the info correct in the rangefinder?  G1 vs G7 and scope height 

yes right profile...takes about 30 seconds to switch profiles...

I doulble checked the g1 vs g7..

I have to process a few deer this weekend and will update this thread when i get some info...Honestly right now i'm thinking Suppressor #1 and rangefinder #2...Just not sure yet.

A 400 yard shot, dialing approximately 4MOA, would NOT cause a 4-5' miss OVER an animal.  Even if the LRF showed 400 yards and 4MOA, and the deer was actually 100 yards, you are talking 4-6" high.  And if you verified zero at camp afterwards.  

And not with TWO different rifles having the same issue.  As we discussed, I still think it is a suppressor issue.  That is a common denominator in both cases.  The only other one is the LRF, but if you only dialed about 4MOA, that almost eliminates the LRF possibility. 

I will be at Joe Foss on Saturday.  Come out and we will check it.  I will bring a bore scope to look for baffle strike.  Highly unlikely you had two scopes go bad in the exact same way (has to be a tracking issue), but not impossible.

You didn't happen to hit some sort of object out of the barrel did you?  Or have the barrel/suppressor touching an object?  To hit it 4-5 times doesn't sound likely, but you never know.  

12 minutes ago, My Rights As An American said:

I have no idea, never shot at a big deer. I only shot dinks. 

I've shot at big deer... missed em all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

A 400 yard shot, dialing approximately 4MOA, would NOT cause a 4-5' miss OVER an animal.  Even if the LRF showed 400 yards and 4MOA, and the deer was actually 100 yards, you are talking 4-6" high.  And if you verified zero at camp afterwards.  

And not with TWO different rifles having the same issue.  As we discussed, I still think it is a suppressor issue.  That is a common denominator in both cases.  The only other one is the LRF, but if you only dialed about 4MOA, that almost eliminates the LRF possibility. 

I will be at Joe Foss on Saturday.  Come out and we will check it.  I will bring a bore scope to look for baffle strike.  Highly unlikely you had two scopes go bad in the exact same way (has to be a tracking issue), but not impossible.

You didn't happen to hit some sort of object out of the barrel did you?  Or have the barrel/suppressor touching an object?  To hit it 4-5 times doesn't sound likely, but you never know.  

Lance i will text u.  Will try and be there

• Like 1

Which scope was used when you missed?  Are the scopes first or second focal plane?  What zoom did you have it set on when you fired?  These are the questions we need answered..

• Haha 1

suppressors can change POI, so can powder if not temp stable.  But a few lines of coke and a 8 ball never affected the rolling stones performances.

• Like 1