Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Matt Rinella - Hunting and Social Media

Yeah a bit awkward to listen to those brothers go after each other, and coming from myself that has six brothers that’s saying something. I think Matt is largely being ignorant about how much he needs to keep total hunter numbers and hunter acceptance up if he wants to be able to keep doing llama hunts for the rest of his life. All he seemed do was whine about wanting less people at his trail head, and blamed media and phones for it. He needs voters that will not just vote against hunting when things come to the ballot. I really do think the meat eater guys do a good job in that department and present it in a way that non hunters can understand where we are coming from.

• Like 1

I think Matt has a real point, but I don’t think Steve is necessarily the guilty one.  Steve is good for hunting in general, and conservation too.  But there’s a lot of flat brimmers out there pimping out every deer and elk on the planet.  Brian Call, the Hushin crew, Aron Snyder, Zack Griffith, Dan Stanton, I could go on all day.  Our wild places will go like the Buffalo herds if we don’t stop this.  

We are about to kiss goodbye OTC archery deer due to instagram onset hunters.  Every year the draw odds get lower and lower, especially for premium hunts.  There are hunters, and then there are customers of the outdoor industry, and we have to decipher the difference.  

• Like 6

MeatEater.  one of the few hunting shows I watch.

Steve ate under-cooked bear meat and they all got tricinosis.  \"/

Steve shot and ate a coyote.  Cooked it hide and all over a fire.  Burned the hair off from it.  \"/

I listened. I really like Matt’s point about social media leading to hemorrhoids.

Seriosuly though, a lot of good points out there. I find it baffling how these influencers refuse to acknowledge that their productions lead to hunter crowding and loss of opportunity. I also didn’t realize previously that Pitman Robinson dollars were spent by adjacencies on advertising. That makes me want to throw up.

• Like 3

It would be interesting to hear the reason for spending conservation money to bring the masses to hunt our state. We have enough people claiming to be hunters in our state already.

Shockingly Heffelfinger follows the same logic that Newberg and Rinella do that somehow miraculously influencers have no impact on hunting pressure or opportunity loss.

Ironically he was plastering pictures all over Instagram from the Meateater and Newberg Christmas parties.

Nice to know that our PR dollars are being put to good use.

• Like 1

The money spent on influencers to bring more hunters to AZ could be better spent on an ad campaign promoting positive images about hunters and how we actually help overall wildlife populations.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bigbuckfever said:

The money spent on influencers to bring more hunters to AZ could be better spent on an ad campaign promoting positive images about hunters and how we actually help overall wildlife populations.

That's what the last tag grab effort was about. Guess they didn't need the money for that.

"These humble tribesmen were reluctant to tell their closest friends and neighbors they had killed something."

I think that was because they didn't want others stealing their food.  

• Like 2