Yuma Outdoorsman

Saw this on Instagram...what’s your take?

15 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

So are they also going to have the rifle hunters filing mandatory reports so G&F can ACCURATELY know whether the archers reach 20%?? 

Good question. Anyone know? I’m assuming it will be an estimated number of archery harvest allowed per unit and changed each year from the previous years numbers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CouesFanatic said:

Good question. Anyone know? I’m assuming it will be an estimated number of archery harvest allowed per unit and changed each year from the previous years numbers. 

It doesn’t make sense to have some data based on mandatory reporting and some not. My guess is that mandatory reporting will come to all species soon.

• Like 3

I don't mind mandatory reporting. Or a draw. I don't want my tags and hunting paperwork to be digital though. I can only imagine the crowds down south due to the units up north getting shut down.  Imagine how us guys up north feel having nowhere to hunt. And up here the mule deer rut is best the week or so before Christmas so we don't care about January as much as the southern zones do. Then again a draw might aslo force pressure into areas that normally had a small group of dedicated successful hunters.

14 hours ago, Flatlander said:

It doesn’t make sense to have some data based on mandatory reporting and some not. My guess is that mandatory reporting will come to all species soon.

And the end results will be basically the same as the ones now being gathered using voluntary reporting & statistical analysis. 🙄

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

And the end results will be basically the same as the ones now being gathered using voluntary reporting & statistical analysis. 🙄

Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell how accurate their extrapolations from the source data was. But my basic level of statistical training tells me that the more data points we start with the lower the margin of error and thus the more reliable the data is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatlander said:

Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell how accurate their extrapolations from the source data was. But my basic level of statistical training tells me that the more data points we start with the lower the margin of error and thus the more reliable the data is. 

The only way mandatory reporting is any more accurate then the way they do it now is if you have to physically check in the animal. Does the department still send out a survey card to bear, lion and sheep hunters? If so I wonder how well the data lines up since those hunts are mandatory reporting. I’m sure the department has a pretty good pile of data on the Kaibab hunts, some are mandatory reporting and others aren’t. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 654321 said:

The only way mandatory reporting is any more accurate then the way they do it now is if you have to physically check in the animal. Does the department still send out a survey card to bear, lion and sheep hunters? If so I wonder how well the data lines up since those hunts are mandatory reporting. I’m sure the department has a pretty good pile of data on the Kaibab hunts, some are mandatory reporting and others aren’t. 

This is absurd. Having 3X as much data will certainly provide more reliable statistical information because the margin of error is much reduced.  The only way it wouldn’t is if more people lied on their survey than already do not return a survey. The probability of which makes it statistically irrelevant.

• Like 1

No point in arguing with some on here. Their minds are made up.  We should sit back and do nothing because whatever we do, will not work.  They are certain that most hunters are dishonest and will lie on their report.  IMO, they are probably in that crowd, which is why they think that will be the norm.  They were probably the ones saying that baiting ban wasn't going to stop anyone or trail camera ban will not stop anyone either.  Time will tell, but the baiting ban has for sure worked where I hunt.

27 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

No point in arguing with some on here. Their minds are made up.  We should sit back and do nothing because whatever we do, will not work.  They are certain that most hunters are dishonest and will lie on their report.  IMO, they are probably in that crowd, which is why they think that will be the norm.  They were probably the ones saying that baiting ban wasn't going to stop anyone or trail camera ban will not stop anyone either.  Time will tell, but the baiting ban has for sure worked where I hunt.

There will always be a small percentage that lie, but Flatlander is right. We will get better data from mandatory reporting, not perfect, but better than current info.  Better info on how the deer herd is doing is always a good thing. I agree with you on the baiting/camera thing. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

When they go to electronic tags and you punch your tag electronically, it should tie into reporting. 

Solid idea.  Seems easy to implement as well.

I remember as a kid growing up, the common theme was "if you fill out successful on the survey, you're less likely to get a tag the following year."

That was of course BS, but I wonder how many still believe that. 

Electronic is nice until everyone's grandpa get citations for not knowing how to do it. I know old boys who couldn't even figure out online applications and gave up hunting. Certain things belong in hand like money and hunting tags women and whiskey.

38 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Electronic is nice until everyone's grandpa get citations for not knowing how to do it. I know old boys who couldn't even figure out online applications and gave up hunting. Certain things belong in hand like money and hunting tags women and whiskey.

Help your grandpa out!   Com' on man!!

• Like 1