Yuma Outdoorsman

Saw this on Instagram...what’s your take?

13 minutes ago, 654321 said:

Guess your limb just broke with you on it.

I think this is exactly what they want. Lots of tags sold and hunts opening back up= lots of money for the game and fish and crowded hunting for us again.  This allows them to sell just about the same number of OTC tags and kill less deer. I'd rather have it a draw and have a quality hunt but this department has shown again and again its all about $$$$$ first.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, CouesFanatic said:

I think this is exactly what they want. Lots of tags sold and hunts opening back up= lots of money for the game and fish and crowded hunting for us again.  This allows them to sell just about the same number of OTC tags and kill less deer. I'd rather have it a draw and have a quality hunt but this department has shown again and again its all about $$$$$ first.

I would wager a hefty chunk (like  $20.00), you are in the absolute minority in your want.  

• Like 4

Threshold method is a short term solution IMO but I think its worth a shot.  We shall see.  It would be nice to see all the units revert to this methodology including the units north of the Colorado river.  If it a good idea why not?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

I would wager a hefty chunk (like  $20.00), you are in the absolute minority in your want.  

Ya I think you are right on that and thats fine. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I still think we will head to a draw down the road after the units get hit hard enough to close most of them after the first weekend. We'll see how long it takes. I'm fearful a lot of the units will close before we get to January but I hope I'm wrong on that and we still get to hunt in the rut. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

Threshold method is a short term solution IMO but I think its worth a shot.  We shall see.  It would be nice to see all the units revert to this methodology including the units north of the Colorado river.  If it a good idea why not?

You really think 1000 guys running around 13b trying to be the first one to kill one of the 50 bucks allotted is a good idea?   That would be a horrible hunt and experience 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Northern Pintail said:

You really think 1000 guys running around 13b trying to be the first one to kill one of the 50 bucks allotted is a good idea?   That would be a horrible hunt and experience 

Actually, I don't think a 1000 guys running around any unit is a good idea.  The scenario you describe will play out south of the river.  Unit 23 in August for example, has recently been a "horrible hunt and experience".  OTC/threshold archery deer has/will become be a "zoo" experience.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CouesFanatic said:

Ya I think you are right on that and thats fine. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I still think we will head to a draw down the road after the units get hit hard enough to close most of them after the first weekend. We'll see how long it takes. I'm fearful a lot of the units will close before we get to January but I hope I'm wrong on that and we still get to hunt in the rut. 

December and January are different hunt years so if it was closed opening weekend of Dec it should open back up in Jan. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, LifeFeedsOnLife said:

December and January are different hunt years so if it was closed opening weekend of Dec it should open back up in Jan. 

Yep and when the quota is met in January it is now closed for the rest of the year

• Wow! 1

39 minutes ago, 654321 said:

Yep and when the quota is met in January it is now closed for the rest of the year

Ya it will be interesting to see how many deer for each unit they allow. I hope we don’t lose the august velvet hunts all together. All of January could close a lot of units

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, LifeFeedsOnLife said:

Unless they do seasonal quotas like bear. 

Even bears have a total female harvest, so it’s possible the whole female quota can be met in the first season, same could hold true for deer.

2 hours ago, 654321 said:

Even bears have a total female harvest, so it’s possible the whole female quota can be met in the first season, same could hold true for deer.

Yeah I guess it may be possible. Regardless I'd personally rather give this a go than lose the opportunity outright. 

4 hours ago, CouesFanatic said:

Ya it will be interesting to see how many deer for each unit they allow. I hope we don’t lose the august velvet hunts all together. All of January could close a lot of units

To be capped at their beloved 20% of all tags, algebra says they should put each unit at 16% of what total rifle and muzzy kills were over some historic period. 

• Like 1

I hope it goes to a draw. Maybe some of the rifle hunts draw odds will improve. 

• Like 3