muley224

North of the Ditch hunts

19510574_1583890038301386_8739547000605874268_n.jpg

19510533_1587296407960749_5003456775555978856_n.jpg

• Like 1

The guides and the hunters I knew that were up there said a desert tag was way better this year. They got absolutely crushed up north. Terrible time finding any bucks. Guys that have hunted up there for 50 years said they saw less deer than they have seen scouting for sheep tags. One of the tag holders said he saw more coyotes than deer. Almost no fawn survival last 2 years. So it will take some time to recover. Very sad. 

Planning the annual trip to winter range end of January to watch some big bucks. From what all are saying, may be a bust.

deertag_030913~1.jpg

• Like 3

I hunted archery season.  I've been in the same area since 1985.  Nothing in the past compared to how poor my hunt was.  I even drove back home twice just to get away.  very frustrating.  weather was perfect , should have been deer every where.  The other hunters I ran into said the same.  It wasn't just deer. I saw and heard very few coyotes. not even many birds.  Just a confusing hunt.

• Like 1

I hunted the Kaibab during archery and saw fewer deer than I am used to as well. Other hunters that I was camped nearby said the same thing, they were not seeing many deer in the areas that were usually full of deer.

I wonder if the deer that wintered off the West side never made it back all the way to the top with the Mangum Burn between the typical winter and summer habitat?

On 12/15/2021 at 9:45 AM, muley224 said:

Here's a few more good ones...

19437239_1583890034968053_8125885558403044878_n (1).jpg

19437399_1583890318301358_1568153383445071633_n.jpg

What kind of rifle is in that top picture?

I was on the late hunt in 12aw.   We mostly hunted on top.   Saw a ton of deer.   Great rutting activity on top.  Not so much down lower.   Biggest buck we saw was maybe a 165ish.   Filled 4 out of 4 tags.  All of which had at least one tine broke.       Had a great time but definately disappointed with antler growth.    

• Like 1

Very tough hunt on the strip this year.  Killed 1 archery buck that was 205+ in 13b.  Rifle was very tough, deer spread out and numbers down.  Killed 4 bucks, all old which was the goal.  

the guys in 13a killed an awesome old deer on the rifle hunt.

The summer rains filled a lot of waters and the feed looked fantastic.  Very low fawn survival though.  We’ll have to see what things look like next year, I’m not super optimistic.  

Anyone wanna take a stab at why it sucked this year? Did weather affect the migration or what? 

Hopefully with the lack of big bucks killed,  the burns and reduction in tags this sets a new cycle for better quality. 

8 hours ago, ltd2004 said:

I was on the late hunt in 12aw.   We mostly hunted on top.   Saw a ton of deer.   Great rutting activity on top.  Not so much down lower.   Biggest buck we saw was maybe a 165ish.   Filled 4 out of 4 tags.  All of which had at least one tine broke.       Had a great time but definately disappointed with antler growth.    

I remember several years back my buddy had a 12ae late tag and No deer down low. We went up top and filled by Jacobs lake. 

R1-12.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Anyone wanna take a stab at why it sucked this year? Did weather affect the migration or what? 

Hopefully with the lack of big bucks killed,  the burns and reduction in tags this sets a new cycle for better quality. 

Think a combo of not having their browse froze over a few times and the massive burn at mid-range kept them higher, just an opinion. Wish I could for 1 day think like those Big boys !

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 8:52 AM, lancetkenyon said:

I have heard from numerous people that it was a very tough year up on the Bab.  I think the biggest buck I have heard taken on the late hunt was a mid-180s buck. Have not heard much about the Strip either.

Water everywhere had them scattered, and the big Magnum burn has not recovered enough yet to draw the deer into it.  The deer are all in the transition, and that is thick and hard to glass.  More like quail hunting, trying to jump a buck and get a good look, then a good shot is hard to do.

I agree with this.  Coupled with a full moon on the early hunt it was tough.